OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Best bandwidth monitoring method?
Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36376] Fri, 12 June 2009 19:12 Go to next message
rmwebs is currently offline  rmwebs
We're in the process of building an OpenVZ control panel, however would like a little input.

Its designed to be run with a 'master' script that calls to the 'slaves', each running HyperVM -- ideally we want the scripts on the slave to be as small as possible.

I've looked at all the bandwidth/traffic accounting options on the forum, and wiki however there seems to be very little info on implementation, and which methods are best for an operation such as ours.

Anyone got any idea what would be best here? We need to be able to track monthly bandwidth usage, and possibly display bandwidth graphs.

Thanks for your time.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 June 2009 19:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36386 is a reply to message #36376] Sat, 13 June 2009 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nobody? Sad

I know the project has slowed down but didn't realize it was this bad! Confused
Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36433 is a reply to message #36376] Thu, 18 June 2009 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arghbis is currently offline  arghbis
cat /sys/class/net/venet0/statistics/tx_bytes ?

same as above for rx_bytes?

or you can use something like collectd, wich is much simpler since you don't need to write your own scripts
Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36435 is a reply to message #36433] Thu, 18 June 2009 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestions, however neither of these would really work.

1) tx_bytes would show the bandwidth for all vps accounts (I need to get data for each individual account). Even if you pulled it from the tx_bytes on the individual VPS, whats to stop the VPS owner modifying the value?

2) Collectd isnt able to pick up bandwidth usage from each VPS.

Thanks anyway.

I think we're going to be using iptables based monitoring as there doesn't seem to be any other way that would work very well.

We'll do all the graph generation on our main server, which calls to the remote servers to get the bandwidth statistics.
Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36436 is a reply to message #36435] Thu, 18 June 2009 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=rmwebs wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 14:21]Thanks for the suggestions, however neither of these would really work.

1) tx_bytes would show the bandwidth for all vps accounts (I need to get data for each individual account)

you're wrong. If you use tx_bytes for venet0 on each vps, it show the tx_bytes of the vps only

sorry, but you're wrong again. I use it this way

[quote]
Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36438 is a reply to message #36436] Thu, 18 June 2009 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=arghbis wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 09:00]
rmwebs wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 14:21

Thanks for the suggestions, however neither of these would really work.

1) tx_bytes would show the bandwidth for all vps accounts (I need to get data for each individual account)

you're wrong. If you use tx_bytes for venet0 on each vps, it show the tx_bytes of the vps only

sorry, but you're wrong again. I use it this way

Thanks for your reply.

1) Yes, but as stated, whats to stop the VPS user from modifying the value?

2) I've searched high and low and cant find anything about using it with OpenVZ Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 18 June 2009 13:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36439 is a reply to message #36438] Thu, 18 June 2009 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rmwebs wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 15:33

1) Yes, but as stated, whats to stop the VPS user from modifying the value?

Even if you're root user, you can't modify this info, or if so, tell me how to, i'm interested! Surprised

2) I've searched high and low and cant find anything about using it with OpenVZ Confused

you just have to install collectd on each vps and configure it

On one of our servers, i've a vps that is a collectd server, and each vps has its collectd slave configured to send its data to the server.
Re: Best bandwidth monitoring method? [message #36440 is a reply to message #36439] Thu, 18 June 2009 13:49 Go to previous message
I dont think it would be worth running collecd on individual VPS accounts, however as long as the tx_bytes file cant be modified by the user, it may be worth getting the data from there.

Previous Topic: Need help with CPU shortage
Next Topic: move or create vps to secondary hardisk?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 15:20:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03075 seconds