OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » migration on a non-openvz kernel
migration on a non-openvz kernel [message #36144] Mon, 25 May 2009 04:36 Go to next message
Balbuzard is currently offline  Balbuzard
Hi!

I have made my experiments on VPS-server.
I know how to complete migration from a HN supporting OpenVZ to another.
What I would like to know is if there is a way to migrate a VPS (every applications installed inside) from the OpenVZ HN to another computer running without OpenVZ.
I don't want to execute live migration or anything like this, but only copy the installed applications from the HN to another computer running debian generic kernel. Just a way to avoid downloading and installing everything in the other computer.

How are the VPS saved and stored during migration? I mean, maybe it is possible to copy the content of /vz/root/CTID to my computer to / of the other one? But I don't know how to proceed and I don't want to do anything armfull for the other one :-S

Thank you a lot for your answers and advices!
Re: migration on a non-openvz kernel [message #36224 is a reply to message #36144] Mon, 01 June 2009 07:36 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi.

Well, such an operation is a bit tricky and not automated.
Yes, in general, you can copy the content of /vz/root/CTID on the source node to / of the destination one and this should work, but there are some interesting moments:

1) how will you copy? i won't bet that coping /bin, /sbin/, /usr and so on will go fine: coping is not atomic and if you substitute glibc files for example, and after that a process would like to reload some lib - it might fail. Ok, you can copy /usr to /usr1, etc, and then just move. Might work.

2) You need to check the template creation algorithm: there probably should some points, you need to check/undo, for example, when you create a template, you disable mingetty, remove /etc/mtab, and so on.

3) you have to think about first boot of the node: you need to make sure kernel is installed, recreate initrd before the reboot.

Most probably i forgot something else. In any case this task seems do-able, but you'll need to perform quite a lot of tricks to make it work.

Good luck!

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: Upgrade Guest from CentOS 4.7 to 5.3
Next Topic: SELinux Support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 22:23:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06532 seconds