OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How will OpenVZ survive?
How will OpenVZ survive? [message #36119] Fri, 22 May 2009 09:34 Go to next message
bugmenot is currently offline  bugmenot
Hello,

I'm planning a major server deployment. Previously I have used openvz containers instead of full virtualisation.

One of the key factors in choosing a solution is long term viability and compatibility with upstream (here: kernels and distributions). Any deviation signals that a project cannot last.

All distributions are moving to udev, they are tested with udev, and some features rely on udev. Non-udev users will get less testing and less support. OpenVZ recommends disabling udev.

My question is this: will OpenVZ support udev?

Thanks.
Re: How will OpenVZ survive? [message #36121 is a reply to message #36119] Fri, 22 May 2009 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

OpenVZ already supports udev. It's just it doesn't make much sense to have udev inside a container, plus it eats some resources.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: How will OpenVZ survive? [message #36122 is a reply to message #36121] Fri, 22 May 2009 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugmenot is currently offline  bugmenot
Great! Then I can use it again Smile

Can you point me at the docs?
Re: How will OpenVZ survive? [message #36123 is a reply to message #36122] Fri, 22 May 2009 12:44 Go to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

Hmm, there are no docs. If you use udev you have to add some devices that you need to have inside your CT to /lib/udev/devices, that is all. Basically what udev does is it copies those to newly created /dev during CT boot.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: Openvpn Internet issue
Next Topic: Kernel Installation Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 11:34:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02480 seconds