OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Question about Live Migration
Question about Live Migration [message #35794] Wed, 22 April 2009 21:46 Go to next message
divB is currently offline  divB
Hi,

I read through the Wiki but there is no detailed information about live migration. (only that it works, what's the command etc. but no details how and why it works).

I am very interested in live migration and my specific question is: Does it care about the file system too?

Can I migrate a VE which is stored on Host1 "live" to Host2? Or do I have to care about file system consistency myself? (This would reduce my enthusiasm drastically Wink ). Or do I even need a SAN?

If it works: How does it actually work? How can live migration possible when the file system need to be consistent? How is it possible to achieve minimum downtime in this case?

And what if I have bind-mounted some ressources from the host? What happens with those mappings?

Regards,
divB

Re: Question about Live Migration [message #35819 is a reply to message #35794] Fri, 24 April 2009 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Quote:

I am very interested in live migration and my specific question is: Does it care about the file system too?

Yes, of course,
rsync + suspending + syncing dump + rsync again.
This article http://wiki.openvz.org/Checkpointing_and_live_migration
explains the basics of migration process.
Moreover, vzmigrate is just a bash script so you can read the sources.
Re: Question about Live Migration [message #35907 is a reply to message #35794] Thu, 30 April 2009 07:45 Go to previous message
divB is currently offline  divB
Thank you,

yes, I already read the Wiki article but it is too undetailed. However, now it's clear, thank you.

Concerning bind-mounts: As I guess the whole tree of a bind-mounted file system will be included in rsync, won't it?
E.g. if I have bind-mounted a 1TB /home from the host, the whole file system tree including the 1TB /home is rsynced to the destination host?

And: The two hosts do not have to be the same CPU (as it is the case with VMware) because we have OS based virtualization?!

Thank you,
divB
Previous Topic: Number of VEs supported
Next Topic: shell used by 'vzctl enter'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 13:35:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02352 seconds