OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » IO Limiting (Priorities)
IO Limiting (Priorities) [message #35737] Sun, 19 April 2009 18:46 Go to next message
CodyRo is currently offline  CodyRo
I've searched over the forums and don't think this is clarified anywhere, though I could be mistaken (and if I am, excuse me Smile).

In the Wiki IO priority is described to work as the following:

Quote:

Priority range is 0-7. The more priority a container has, the more time for using block devices this container will obtain.

This seems fairly clear - the higher the priority given, the more IO the VPS will be allotted. The issue is later down in the Wiki entry (http://wiki.openvz.org/I/O_priorities_for_containers) is says this:

Quote:

The mapping from priority to time is the following: if 0 prio corresponds to time slice t, than 8 prio corresponds to time slice 2 * t. Default time slice value is HZ/2. The main criteria for fairness at the moment is that if you set I/O prio of CT 1 to p1 and I/O prio of CT 2 to p2, and p1 > p2 then CT 1 should do more I/O than CT 2.

.. which seems to contradict the above statement. If VE1 has IO Priority of 1, and VE2 has IO Priority of 2 .. VE1 should be doing more IO than VE2.

Am I missing something or completely misunderstanding the Wiki entry?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Sun, 19 April 2009 18:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IO Limiting (Priorities) [message #35760 is a reply to message #35737] Tue, 21 April 2009 06:09 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
I cannot find any contradiction. Smile
Could you please describe what do you have in mind?

The more priority a container has (p1 > p2), the more time for using block devices this container will obtain (CT 1 should do more I/O than CT 2).
Previous Topic: website failover
Next Topic: How to remove VZ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 19 23:20:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03250 seconds