OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » website failover
website failover [message #35735] Sun, 19 April 2009 15:44 Go to next message
tedpenner is currently offline  tedpenner
I need to create the capability of true failover for a environment at two sites. One involves a system called TeamCenter for managing engineering documents where they need constant up-time, and the other involves a website where the failover will need to happen between to hosts. If my site hosted by the hosting company were to go down (developer error or whatever), I could be back up on my own box quickly.

My understanding of OpenVZ and Parallels is that this is possible. This use of Parallels at work 'might be' a possibility depending on cost. Where does OpenVZ leave off? Is OpenVZ a viable enterprise solution? Is it regularly updated?

I may furthermore, have the wrong idea entirely of how OpenVZ and Parallels containers actually work. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Re: website failover [message #35759 is a reply to message #35735] Tue, 21 April 2009 05:50 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

Quote:

Is OpenVZ a viable enterprise solution?

Of course, people use OpenVZ in production.

Quote:

Is it regularly updated?

OpenVZ kernels are regularly updated.
You can find information about stable, development, obsoleted kernels for example from here http://download.openvz.org/kernel/

About failover solution. Parallels Virtuozzo Containers provides an active-passive solution which is based on RHCS (Red Hat Cluster Suite). I think it's possible to implement something similar in OpenVZ, but I cannot provide estimates of how difficult it will be to do.
You may also look the following article. It describes another potential solution which may be useful in your situation
http://wiki.openvz.org/HA_cluster_with_DRBD_and_Heartbeat
Previous Topic: Meetme admin mode
Next Topic: IO Limiting (Priorities)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 15:34:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02367 seconds