OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVz on 64 bit Fedora 10
OpenVz on 64 bit Fedora 10 [message #35374] Fri, 20 March 2009 07:35 Go to next message
isoips is currently offline  isoips
I would like to try OpenVZ. I have a Fedora 10 distro (x86-64), with Xen installed. So I would install OpenVZ, leaving Xen and Fedora 10 original kernel.
I think it is possibile to create a new entry on menu.lst which I can select to boot openvz or other operating system.
Is it possibile?

My current kernel is 2.6.27.5-117-fc10-x86_64.

Thank you
Re: OpenVz on 64 bit Fedora 10 [message #35375 is a reply to message #35374] Fri, 20 March 2009 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schjeall is currently offline  schjeall
Hello

Maybe I'm getting this wong, but I think Fedora 10 only works as a guest under XEN. For Fedora 10 you need to also install xenner.

Read http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_D o_System_Adminstrators_Care_About.html#sn-Virtualization

Quote:

8.3.1. Unified kernel image
The kernel-xen package has been obsoleted by the integration of paravirtualization operations in the upstream kernel. The kernel package in Fedora 10 supports booting as a guest domU, but will not function as a dom0 until such support is provided upstream. The most recent Fedora release with dom0 support is Fedora 8.

Booting a Xen domU guest within a Fedora 10 host requires the KVM based xenner. Xenner runs the guest kernel and a small Xen emulator together as a KVM guest.

You can read more about xenner here http://kraxel.fedorapeople.org/xenner/

Short status for xenner

Quote:

CPU emulation works quite well now. Boots all three x86 variants
(32bit non-pae, 32bit pae and 64bit) of xen paravirtualized kernels.
UP runs fine, SMP is unstable.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 March 2009 09:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVz on 64 bit Fedora 10 [message #35377 is a reply to message #35375] Fri, 20 March 2009 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isoips is currently offline  isoips
Thank you, I thought Fedora 10 was able to run as a Dom0.
So I downgrade Fedora 10 to Fedora 8.

Evil or Very Mad I spend a lot of time to customized it Evil or Very Mad

Is it possible to install OpenVz and Xen and normal kernel in the same partition? (3 different boot entries)
Re: OpenVz on 64 bit Fedora 10 [message #35388 is a reply to message #35377] Mon, 23 March 2009 07:47 Go to previous message
schjeall is currently offline  schjeall
Hello

Yes, this should be possible to install 3 boot kernels on the same partition, FC8, FC8-XEN and OpenVZ.

From OpenVZ Users Guide:

Quote:

Next, you shall install the kernel RPM of your choice on your Hardware Node by issuing the following command:

# rpm -ihv vzkernel-name*.rpm

Note: You should not use the rpm –U command (where -U stands for "upgrade"); otherwise, all the kernels currently installed on the Node will be removed.

Just don't use the -U option!
Previous Topic: Stupid Template Question
Next Topic: Solution for vzdump with NFS mounts inside CT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 21:45:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02342 seconds