OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Problem with new Lenny Kernel
icon5.gif  Problem with new Lenny Kernel [message #35033] Sun, 22 February 2009 22:56 Go to next message
delo is currently offline  delo
Hi Everybody,
i am running a root Server in Germany (not yet productive Wink ) so i decided to upgrade to Lenny (Debian 5). Everything is running fine, except opnenvz, if i use the new kernel from debian linux-image-openvz-amd64, kernel 2.6.26-1-openvz-amd. All my containers have no more internet-connection, i can´t run apt-get e.g. from within a container and the containers cant´t be reached from without my machine.
If i boot the old openvz kernel 2.6.18-12-fza-amd64 they run, i can reach my containers with their ips and they can reach nameservers and so on. So there must be a difference between the kernels, i did not change anything else, config is the same. The root server is provided by hetzner and has its own subnet which i use for the containers... Anybody who has any idea ???? Rolling Eyes

Kind regards,

Dirk.
Re: Problem with new Lenny Kernel (2.6.26-1-openvz-amd64) [message #35034 is a reply to message #35033] Mon, 23 February 2009 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curx

- Please check your /etc/sysctl.conf settings, IPv4 forward is enabled ?
[...]
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
[...]

- OpenVZ patch version ?
# cat /proc/vz/version

- OpenVZ subsystem is running ?
# /etc/init.d/vz status

- your can ping the containers from the hardwarenode only ?
- useing venet(work) or veth(ernet) ?
- routing is ok, Hetzner use special routing setting for addidional (sub-)network
- something special like iptables enabled rule ?

[Updated on: Mon, 23 February 2009 09:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with new Lenny Kernel (2.6.26-1-openvz-amd64) [message #35040 is a reply to message #35034] Mon, 23 February 2009 20:25 Go to previous message
delo is currently offline  delo
Hi Curx,
thanks a lot Razz ip-forwarding wasn´t enabled Embarassed But i thought i did not need it due to hetzner - wiki: http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/IP-Subnetze I think your from Germany, too Wink But the topic is international, so i will go on writing english, maybe anybody else has the same problem, who is not german... Anyway this is surprising to mee, i just checked it again, the old kernel 2.6.18-12-fza-amd64 does not need the ip-forward section, i commented it out and used a serial console (no ssh) so i could activate the old kernel with grub-menu. No forwarding and it works, now a restart to the new kernel, it does not work, but testing is temporarily with echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward it works again, so this is the difference.
So now i wonder why the old kernel works without forwarding and then new does not ?
Now there is another subject surprising me, when i use cat /proc/vz/version
it tells me 036test001 ??? Lenny is stable, so i thought the new kernel with openvz is stable, too, not testing ??? The old kernel trying it says: 028stab053.5

When i run apt-get it says me: linux-image-2.6.26-1-openvz-amd64 is already the newest version. So why is it a testing-kernel ? Which one would you use ? I think running lenny dist the new kernel is the better choice ?

Kind regards and thanks a lot,

Dirk.

Previous Topic: Possible Debug Bug
Next Topic: Kernel leak problems.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 00:16:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02879 seconds