OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » local network and arp problems
local network and arp problems [message #35024] Fri, 20 February 2009 21:04 Go to previous message
stefal is currently offline  stefal
(running a standard debian 5.0 2.6.26-1-openvz-686 installation)

I have problems with ARP not being responded to by the HN for the VE.

The network consist of two subnets (in the same switch). One public, and one private 192.168.1.0/24 network.

The HN is assigned a private address, and the VE a public address.

To make the VE reachable, I add a static ARP entry for the public gateway, add a static route for the gateway. Now I can reach outside hosts from the VE. However, other hosts in the same public network cannot be reached.

So I played a bit with adding routing for the local network to eth0, removing the default gateway, etc, but after tcpdumping the other machine I found the problem. There is no response to arp's for the VE IP. (which makes it a bit curious about how the router can send packets back to the VE. It's a cisco, perhaps they cache mac addresses and dont need the regular arp who-has communication).

I also tried enabling the proxy arp sysctl, but it did not work.

I've tried setting a public address on the hostnode interface eth0:1, but that did not improve the situation. That address is however fully reachable.

I guess the generalized problem is to reach VE hosts on the same subnet without going through a router. It should be possible?
In either case, the HN should answer arp replies for VE adresses?

Regards,
Stefan

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: D-Bus inside VE
Next Topic: Possible Debug Bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 13:40:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04809 seconds