OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » veth, bridges and VLAN
veth, bridges and VLAN [message #34918] Thu, 12 February 2009 08:25 Go to next message
tobiasstocker is currently offline  tobiasstocker
Hy there,

I was wondering if a setup which I'm planning will work. I have some containers running on Debian Lenny, a network interface eth0 and one VLAN (there will bi more later). I want the containers to use veth instead of venet.

My "plan" was to configure a VLAN device vlanN which uses eth0 as raw device. Also I have to use a bridge brX where vlanN and the veth devices will be added. I was hoping that all the containers added to the bridge automaticly are "tagged" because I don't want to configure the VLAN in the container.

So I was wondering if it is possible at all to do that, and if, how? Is i possible to configure a VLAN device which only tags and does not have an IP / Netmask etc.?

I hope it is clear what I mean. English isn't my mother tongue, sorry if things are unclear.

Regards, Tobi
Re: veth, bridges and VLAN [message #34928 is a reply to message #34918] Thu, 12 February 2009 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

if I understand your correctly you can achieve this.
The following thread http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=33405&# msg_33405 gave a birth a good article which I hope would be useful in this case.
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/OpenVZ_VLANs
Re: veth, bridges and VLAN [message #34947 is a reply to message #34928] Fri, 13 February 2009 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope it is not exaclty hat I was looking for, but I think I now know that my plan will fail Wink

My idea was to put a VLAN N on eth0, and the vlan in the bridge br0. Also, I wanted to add the VETH devices in this bridge, so that every packet which leaves the bridge through the vlan device is automaticaly tagged... but I suggest this isn't possible, is it?

Because I don't want the poeple to configure every VLAN available on the ethernet port, so I hoped I can put the device simply in a bridge (one per vlan) so their packages are always in the same vlan.

Regards
Re: veth, bridges and VLAN [message #34948 is a reply to message #34947] Fri, 13 February 2009 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

please look at the howto mentioned above. It describes configuration you want to setup.
Re: veth, bridges and VLAN [message #34961 is a reply to message #34948] Fri, 13 February 2009 14:59 Go to previous message
Hey maratrus,

Thanks a lot, it worked for me.

Regards
Previous Topic: OpenVZ, vzrpm, vzyum?
Next Topic: Dual nics to separate networks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 12:15:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02354 seconds