OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » [answered] Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox
[answered] Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34800] Tue, 03 February 2009 10:14 Go to next message
Casrovia
Can I use OpenVZ along with the current versions of VirtualBox and VMWare on Ubuntu 8.042 64 bit, will there be any known conflicts ?

I'm wondering if all the virtual technologies can co exist?

Thank you.
Casrovia

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2009 09:11] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34811 is a reply to message #34800] Wed, 04 February 2009 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Quote:

Can I use OpenVZ along with the current versions of VirtualBox and VMWare...

Yes, you can.
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&&th=6700& ;amp ;goto=32893#msg_34609

The same thing with VMware.

Update:
it seems i was too fast with VirtualBox, the link i provided reports that people tried using VB with OVZ, but there were some problems. So it's still open question if it works or not nowadays.

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2009 10:45]

Re: Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34812 is a reply to message #34800] Wed, 04 February 2009 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

theoretically there wouldn't be any problems and there are a lot of examples of making this crossing. You should recompile VmWare modules against OpenVZ kernel.
Re: Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34816 is a reply to message #34812] Wed, 04 February 2009 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Casrovia
Thank you.

I seem to have bitten off more than I can chew.

I see no merit in pursuing OpenVZ vs VirtualBox. I wish people would stop boasting about how easy it is... it is not, there are many existing limitations.

When the day arrives (I hope soon) where I can install and run OpenVZ without the nightmare of kernel patching or recompiling, and will run on the top 5 distros (rpm & debian) without problems, I'll be a happy camper. Until then...

Thanks for the quick feedback.
Shantarra Shocked
Re: Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34818 is a reply to message #34816] Wed, 04 February 2009 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shantarra Smile,

if you are going just to setup OpenVZ to the node, you surely don't have to recompile anything. If you are going to install VMware you also do not need to recompile the kernel - only VMware modules have to be recompiled but again that will be done automatically during generic VMware configuration.

Not so difficult as might seemed to be. Smile

--
Konstantin

Re: Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34826 is a reply to message #34818] Thu, 05 February 2009 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Casrovia
[quote title=finist wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 05:51]Shantarra Smile,

>if you are going just to setup OpenVZ to the node, you surely don't have to recompile anything.

Excuse me but do you mean run OpenVZ 'inside' a VirtualBox virtual machine?

>If you are going to install VMware you also do not need to recompile the kernel - only VMware modules have to be recompiled but again that will be done automatically during generic VMware configuration.

Do you mean I can use a Vanila kernel in Ubuntu 8.1 64 bit and run OpenVZ outside of a virtual machine? I thought this was not possible, one needed to either 1) Use the patched kernel from Openvz, 2) Patch your own kernel.

Can you please point to an area in the wiki or documentation that will assist in this area?

Thank you.
Re: Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34828 is a reply to message #34826] Thu, 05 February 2009 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Shantarra,

Quote:

Excuse me but do you mean run OpenVZ 'inside' a VirtualBox virtual machine?

Well, i did not mean it, although it's also possible.

Quote:

I thought this was not possible, one needed to either 1) Use the patched kernel from Openvz, 2) Patch your own kernel.

If we won't think about VirtualBox and just want to run OpenVZ Containers, the Hardware Node (host box) has to run a kernel with OpenVZ code, you are right. But i just said that you don't have to _recompile_ it, you can use already prebuilt kernel from download section. Sorry for that, i didn't want to confuse...

--
Konstantin

Re: [answered] Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34851 is a reply to message #34800] Fri, 06 February 2009 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Casrovia
Thank you for clearing that up.

Unfortunately I am temporarily stuck using an Ubuntu 8.1 Desktop for testing OpenVZ.

Will the below function the same?
1. OpenVZ inside a VirtualBox machine hosted by CentOS 5
2. OpenVZ kernel from Ubuntu repositories on Ubuntu 8.1

Also, aren't there users that wish to compile their own kernel instead of using the one provided by OpenVZ... I might be one of those people.

Thank you for the help.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 February 2009 14:47]

Re: [answered] Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox [message #34853 is a reply to message #34851] Fri, 06 February 2009 15:58 Go to previous message
Quote:

Will the below function the same?
1. OpenVZ inside a VirtualBox machine hosted by CentOS 5

This will summarize the overhead of VirtualBox and OpenVZ technologies, this means in this variant an OVZ Container will run much slower than in variant 2.

Quote:

2. OpenVZ kernel from Ubuntu repositories on Ubuntu 8.1

This is more preferable way, this will show the OVZ technology advantages - the container will be almost as fast as native OS.

Quote:

Also, aren't there users that wish to compile their own kernel instead of using the one provided by OpenVZ... I might be one of those people.

Surely there are, just look around the forum - there are some complains on compilation, people write and test new patches, for example - PPP virtualization, so you are welcome. Smile

Mat be that will be useful if you're going to install OpenVZ on Ubunty.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVZ
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617225
http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-and-using-openvz-on-ubu ntu-8.10

--
Konstantin

Previous Topic: How to setup VENET on containers with unique IPs
Next Topic: syslog-ng is not working (/dev/tty12: permission denied)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 07:25:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02948 seconds