OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How to setup VENET on containers with unique IPs
icon4.gif  How to setup VENET on containers with unique IPs [message #34842] Fri, 06 February 2009 07:18 Go to previous message
hisaltesse is currently offline  hisaltesse
Alright guys, I have been working on this openvz for the entire week and still have neither succeeded connecting to the internet from the containers, nor set them up with unique IPs.

I find it very frustrating how no matter what tutorial you follow there is always a short coming. I have tried 10 different instructions and no luck. I would really really really appreciate if someone could give me a clear walk through here.

Here is my situation. I bought a dedicated server and it came with 5 IPs, one of which if for the host node. I would like to setup Containers (with venet only, not veth) for my students in such a way that they can access them from online and use them for a course.

I have two issues:
1. I would like to give a unique IP to each container the same way hosting providers do on VPS. (And I don't want to use veth, as I would like to avoid ip sniffing). Most hosting providers seem to offer VPS with venet configured.

So how do they give unique IPs then? do they configure the containers with unique IPs on VENET or do they keep the containers IPs internal to the host and create virtual hosts in each container to assign it a unique IP from the internet? The goal is the give root access to the container to the user.

2. Using venet I have not been able to configure the container to have access to the internet. I followed many tutorials but none of them worked.
Can you please advice a clear walkthrough on how to properly setup networking with venet please?

I have a dedicated server with a fresh centos 5 64bit with nothing in the IPTABLES file. I installed everything successfully and manage to create and run the containers but can't get this networking piece to work.

I would really appreciate some help here. THANK YOU.

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: hardware performance question
Next Topic: [answered] Conflicts with VMWare and VirtualBox
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 05:21:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04006 seconds