OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzdump --xdelta
vzdump --xdelta [message #34629] Thu, 22 January 2009 13:33 Go to next message
Cash is currently offline  Cash
Hi,

I'm trying to draft up a backup policy for a batch of openvz vms I've recently installed. I noticed you have a xdelta option in vzdump, but there is no documentation on how to use it. For instance, I want to setup a full backup on sundays and incremental ones for the rest of the week. If I vzdump first on sunday, I assume every vzdump --xdelta will take that backup as it's basis. How should I go about restoring, say, wednesday's backup? What happens the next time I create a full backup? There's absolutelly no info on the wiki (the option isn't even mentioned) and I can't find anything online either.

Since backups are considered somewhat important by some, I'd really like to know how I can use this feature.

Also, in a somewhat related note, if I set up a proxmox server, do the VMs get. I mean something akin to it's own partition)? Should the backups be done with --snapshot in proxmox?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Re: vzdump --xdelta [message #34630 is a reply to message #34629] Thu, 22 January 2009 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

Quote:

but there is no documentation on how to use it

because it is not a native OpenVZ utility.

Quote:

here's absolutelly no info on the wiki (the option isn't even mentioned)

I assume that the principle is the following
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=32607&& amp;srch=xdelta#msg_32607
Re: vzdump --xdelta [message #34631 is a reply to message #34630] Thu, 22 January 2009 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cash is currently offline  Cash
I had previously seen that post and thought it was somewhat incomplete, but I´ll test it. Since there is a wiki entry on using vzdump, I always assumed it was a native app.

Still, I'd like to ask also if anyone knows of a tutorial or something of the kind to do incremental vm backups with vzdump. If it doesn't exist... well, I'll try to figure it out and create the howto myself, I guess Very Happy
Re: vzdump --xdelta [message #34647 is a reply to message #34631] Fri, 23 January 2009 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Quote:

I'll try to figure it out and create the howto myself

Don't forget to put it on a wiki page. Smile
Re: vzdump --xdelta [message #34667 is a reply to message #34629] Sat, 24 January 2009 14:40 Go to previous message
n00b_admin is currently offline  n00b_admin
I don't have a practical example at hand....

But some time ago i hacked the vzdump tool and used two of them.

One for full backups and another one (the modified one) for differential backups.

My hack consisted in modifying the rsync command line to do differential backups against the full one.

I ran a cronjob at the end of the week which provided a directory with the full backup, rsync against actual data and the previous week's backup.

Hourly i ran the second vzdump tool that performed differential backups against actual data and the full backup.

In this way the backup operation was secure and also very low resource consuming since i actually made only differential backups constantly.

Restoring the data consisted in obtaining the original data from the full backup and overwriting the differential backup.

Hope this helps.
Previous Topic: OpenVZ and ubuntu
Next Topic: internet not reachable from ve
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 14 05:26:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09269 seconds