OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Trying to get openVZ running on Dell
Trying to get openVZ running on Dell [message #34619] Wed, 21 January 2009 16:28 Go to next message
mjcoss is currently offline  mjcoss

I've a Dell Precision T3400, which has a Nvidia Quatro FX 570, an Intel Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz, and 4 Gigs of memory. It came preinstalled from Dell with RHEL 5. I first tried using the liveCD for OpenVZ, and while I can see the list of kernels that can be booted, I see no boot prompt, and hitting any of the function keys or typing in a kernel name, only triggers a reboot of the system. I then attempted to use yum to install the OpenVZ kernel. The first attempt installed the wrong flavor (needed x86_64), so I installed the 64 bit version, and proceeded to modify the various configuration files.

The OpenVZ kernel boots but the Xserver fails to start. I tried using the nv driver but that fails as well.

The error (when configured with the nvidia driver) in the X log file isn't particularly useful
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

So is this a known issue with OpenVz? Since my main goal is to use OpenGL with hardware assist, I really want to use the Nvidia drivers. I don't have a problem with changing the OS, but it seems, based on the results with the OpenVz LiveCD and just booting the kernel, that OpenVz doesn't like my hardware Sad

As a side note, I confirmed that the LiveCD works by running on my laptop. I can boot the various kernels, so that much works properly. It doesn't get to the point of running properly, but that's another issue.
Re: Trying to get openVZ running on Dell [message #34628 is a reply to message #34619] Thu, 22 January 2009 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi,

can you please clarify which NVIDIA driver are you using? Some binary module provided by vendor? If yes, i'm afraid it won't work.

A binary module will work only with that kernel it's built for. If NVIDIA compiled their driver for some RHEL5 kernel (for example), it will work with that RHEL5 kernel and won't work with any other kernel.

To make it working with OVZ kernel (or any other kernel), you have to recompile it. If NVIDIA provides opensource or at least partially-binary drivers, then it might be possible.

P.S. according to http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html NVIDIA provides partially binary drivers, so just try to reinstall the driver while running OVZ kernel. Might help.

Good luck!

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Trying to get openVZ running on Dell [message #34664 is a reply to message #34619] Sat, 24 January 2009 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
n00b_admin is currently offline  n00b_admin
You will require the kernel-devel packages in order to be able to build kernel modules for your installed OpenVZ kernel.

Get them by doing a yum install on the corresponding version of your OpenVZ kernel.

The Nvidia installer should stop if it is unable to find any kernel headers on your system, although it is possible that you may have the kernel-devel packages corresponding to your original kernel, not the OpenVZ one which will cause the Nvidia installer to build the kernel module for the original kernel, not for the OpenVZ one.
Re: Trying to get openVZ running on Dell [message #34686 is a reply to message #34664] Mon, 26 January 2009 15:16 Go to previous message
mjcoss is currently offline  mjcoss

Thanks for the suggestions about rebuilding the module, after much pain, I've gotten OpenGL working. Dell has a package that assumes that it knows better than I did what version of the NVIDIA driver to use, and was reinstalling the original NVIDIA driver on reboot. Now on to creating containers. Of course, I then ran into the issues with it begin an x86_64 system. The workarounds appear to work, and so I got the utilities work.
Previous Topic: Trouble in start using open vz
Next Topic: unable to open pty while entering - tried common solutions..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 21:06:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05619 seconds