OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » IO Performance on OpenVZ
IO Performance on OpenVZ [message #33669] Thu, 30 October 2008 17:12 Go to next message
ulver is currently offline  ulver
Hello everyone,

first, i'm sorry for my very bad english, i'll do my best, i hope you will understand me.

I've a question about io disk performance on openvz.
I think i'm doing something wrong because I have strange behaviours with io disk and bad performances.

I have 2 servers (with exactly the same hardware), one with OpenVZ kernel 2.6.18-12-fza-amd64 (server A), and the other with Vserver kernel 2.6.18-5-vserver-amd64 (server B). The distribution is Debian (same configuration).

There are 5 VM on the server A, 5 VM on the server B
If I do, for example, a :
- du -s /home/dir1" on the server A and
- du -s /home/dir1" on the server 2
(it's the same directory = ~20GB)

I noticed that the server B with Vserver is twice as much fast as the server A with OpenVZ (it gives me the answer in 3 minutes for example and server B in 6 minutes...).

I also noticed that server A had a load average of 6 whereas the server B had just 2~3.

I know that it's not a very interesting test, but i've the same feelings with rsync, cp etc... (every operations which consist in io disk...), and with all servers that i've deployed with OpenVZ. That's why i think i'm doing something wrong.

Do you think UBC parameters can have an impact on this ?

Thank you very much !
Re: IO Performance on OpenVZ [message #34614 is a reply to message #33669] Wed, 21 January 2009 02:54 Go to previous message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
I'm assuming your using Debian based on the kernel?

We have been having issues with memory leaking on the Debian kernels, more so on the fza-12 version. Even running fza-14 currently we have issues with memory leaks. It is most likely the swapping that is causing I/O issues which was the same with ours. Upgrading the kernel helped but it still has issues.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President
Previous Topic: vzdump with datestamps
Next Topic: Warning: Unknown iptable module: ipt_MASQUERADE, skipped
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 10:14:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03284 seconds