OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » New to OpenVZ - seeking network configuration suggestions
New to OpenVZ - seeking network configuration suggestions [message #34466] Thu, 08 January 2009 06:19 Go to previous message
atjensen11 is currently offline  atjensen11
Admittedly, I am coming to OpenVZ from the Xen platform that is running on an Ubuntu 8.40 LTS server.

I would like to set up several virtual machines in two different subnets. I typically use X.X.100.X for my publicly accessible machines and X.X.200.X for machines on my private LAN. I should note that all IP addresses on my machine are in the private address space. A router handles NAT from the real public to private addresses.

For example, I would want to create a virtual machine on the X.X.100.X subnet that is a publicly accessible webserver. On the X.X.200.X subnet, I would like to have a personal file server. I would like both virtual machines to be on the same host machine.

I don't want any traffic between the web server and the file server.

I have five network cards for the host machine. In Xen, I was pretty accustomed to hiding network cards on the PCI bus from the host machine and assigning them to the virtual machine. It appears that I can do the same in OpenVZ.

But is there a better way? I have tried to read up on venet and veth devices. After reading the Wiki, it appeared that I should use veth, but traffic sniffing is possible which would appear to violate my desire not to have traffice between the subnets.

I am looking for feedback on how users familiar with OpenVZ would go about creating this configuration.

I should note that the host machine would likely be on the X.X.100.X subnet.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 06:27]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Proxy webserver
Next Topic: Lenny linux-image-2.6.26-1-openvz-amd64 2.6.26-12 does not boot on dual Quadcore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 23:17:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07131 seconds