OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » not able to enter VE after kernel-update
not able to enter VE after kernel-update [message #34380] Sat, 27 December 2008 01:14 Go to next message
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
after i updated my ubuntu server to 8.04 in order to use the ubuntu openvz-kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-openvz) rather than my old developer version 2.6.22-ovz005 i couldn't log into my virtual boxes via

vzctl enter 102

as it claimed, that the pty doesn't exist.

vzctl enter 101
enter into VE 101 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

also openssh wouldn't start. said something about "PRNG is not seeded". (apache and thus networking works by the way)

starting the server with the old kernel works just fine, although it looks like the vzctl tools have been upgraded to the current ubuntu version (3.0.22 - can't remember which version I used before).

so I figure it must have something to do with the new kernel-version. does anyone have experience in using old virtual boxes on current kernels?

as it is quite late I'm going to try to install a new image tomorrow, to see if it's the kernel itself that is flawed or if it has something to do with the interaction new kernel/old virtual box. will post results soon.

thoughts are very welcome...

good night,
joseph

ps: the virtual box is a ubuntu 6.06 LTS. could the kernel be just to new for the old system to work out of the box?

edit: I doubt that the udev error is responsible, as I didn't update anything in the VPS and it still works in combination with the older kernel.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 December 2008 01:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: not able to enter VE after kernel-update [message #34393 is a reply to message #34380] Mon, 29 December 2008 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

could we strace "vzctl enter" command (strace -fF -o out.txt vzctl enter 102)?
Could you also show "vzctl exec 102 ls -l /dev"?
Is there anything in logs or dmesg?

So, you have ubuntu 8.04 as HN with vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-openvz kernel running on it and the problem exists. Is it tight? Could you please show "uname -a" output? Where have you got that kernel?

Then you have rebooted that machine into 2.6.22-ovz005 kernel and the problem's gone away.

Quote:

as it is quite late I'm going to try to install a new image tomorrow

Sorry, I'm not quite understand what kind of image were you going to install?
Re: not able to enter VE after kernel-update [message #34405 is a reply to message #34393] Mon, 29 December 2008 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
will post the requested commands and the log's (i dont' think there is anything in there) tomorrow.

Quote:

So, you have ubuntu 8.04 as HN with vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-openvz kernel running on it and the problem exists. Is it tight? Could you please show "uname -a" output? Where have you got that kernel?

i've got the 2.6.24-22-openvz kernel from the ubuntu repository simply by apt-get install linux-openvz. i think uname -r said exactly that, but i will check that tomorrow as well. the problem only occurred on the current ubuntu kernel, thats correct!

Quote:

Sorry, I'm not quite understand what kind of image were you going to install?

by image I meant the same ubuntu-6.06-openvz template that i used to create my virtual box that has the error under the new kernel.

thanks,
joe

[Updated on: Mon, 29 December 2008 19:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: not able to enter VE after kernel-update [message #34517 is a reply to message #34405] Wed, 14 January 2009 20:03 Go to previous message
Thomasd is currently offline  Thomasd
I have had this problem countless times, so I ended up making this script:
#!/bin/sh
# fixes a common problem where it is not possible to enter a virtual machine
if test -z $1 ; then
 echo "provide a VE number"
 exit 0
fi

if test $1 -gt 0
then
 vzctl exec $1 MAKEDEV ptyp
 vzctl exec $1 MAKEDEV tty