OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VE's can't see my router!
VE's can't see my router! [message #33146] Thu, 25 September 2008 03:24 Go to next message
praveenray is currently offline  praveenray
Hello
I've an Ubuntu Hardy VE running on Centos 5.2 HN. The VE is accessible via ssh from other machines on the Network. However, my Belkin router (which is connected to my ISP) can't seem to be able to forward any port to the VE. It can forward to the HN though. I don't understand why! If other machines on the network can talk (ssh, http, ftp, smb etc) to the VE successfully, why not the router?
I tried creating Virtual Ethernet device on the VE. The device was created ok (and a static IP assigned). But, it has exactly same behavior. In fact, I can ping from the VE to other machines on the network BUT the router (which is the default gw and is at 172.168.128.1).

Any help will be appreciated since I'd like to run http, ftp servers on VEs and port forward from my router to these VEs.

thanks
Re: VE's can't see my router! [message #33148 is a reply to message #33146] Thu, 25 September 2008 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

try to ping your router (172.168.128.1) from inside the VE and at the same moment run tcpdump utility:
- on the HN on venet/veth interface
- on the HN on eth* interface
- inside the VE on venet/eth* interface
- if it's possible on 172.168.128.1 too.

By the way, are you able to ping 172.168.128.1 from your HN? I'm asking that because your network configurations might be set in a such way that gw doesn't respond when trying to ping it.
Re: VE's can't see my router! [message #33190 is a reply to message #33148] Sat, 27 September 2008 17:33 Go to previous message
praveenray is currently offline  praveenray
yes. Thanks for your suggestions. tcpdump was very helpful.
Turns out it was my router which was not responding - it had MAC Filtering on. As soon as I added the veth's MAC address to the allowed list in the router, it worked fine.
Thanks again.
Previous Topic: Clusterized Web Server
Next Topic: Need Help Please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 16:30:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03438 seconds