OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Fail to ping hostname
Fail to ping hostname [message #33140] Wed, 24 September 2008 15:26 Go to next message
satimis is currently offline  satimis
Hi folks,

OpenVZ
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy - Host
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy - Guests

Both host and guests are working. They can ping and ssh-connect each other on IP. But they can't ping nor ssh connect each and others on hostname. I have been playing around on hosts, hostname, resolv.conf, etc. for the whole day without a solution. Please help. TIA

B.R.
satimis
Re: Fail to ping hostname [message #33159 is a reply to message #33140] Thu, 25 September 2008 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjy is currently offline  kenjy
Well the if the VE.A its 192.168.1.1 and the VE.B its: 192.168.1.2 the way to get work the hostname its edit /etc/hosts in each VE and add:

VE.A editing /etc/hosts
192.168.1.2 maquina2

VE.B editing /etc/hosts
192.168.1.1 maquina1

from VE.A ping maquina2
from VE.B ping maquina1

This should work, if not see if you don't have a DNS server who kill your request from one VE to another, another way to see its /etc/nsswitch.conf this file control the priority to solve a name:

hosts: files dns

Check if if files its the first in your VE's

http://kenjy.net |Live net !!!
Re: Fail to ping hostname [message #33163 is a reply to message #33159] Fri, 26 September 2008 02:01 Go to previous message
satimis is currently offline  satimis
Hi kenjy,

Thanks for your advice. It works for me.

$ egrep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:  files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

If there are >20 VE (guests) running the list will be a long one.

I heard winbind can solve the problem as well but never trying it. It needs only a simple setup dislike setting up bind9.

Have you had any idea on the max number of VEs (guests) can run concurrently vs CPU + RAM? Of course all of them are headless server w/o graphic not requiring huge data storage.

B.R.
satimis
Previous Topic: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong
Next Topic: routing issue with openvpn in containter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 05 10:14:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03194 seconds