OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers
OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32691] Sun, 24 August 2008 14:40 Go to next message
markusthielmann is currently offline  markusthielmann
I'm trying to get OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy to work. I'm using 2.6.24-21-openvz and I'm able to create, start and use containers (both own containers and downloaded ones, testing hardy and CentOS containers).

The problem is: Whenever I try to stop a container via "sudo vzctl stop <ID>", my keyboard stops working and I'm no longer able to start new applications. Applications running will still work, but after a few minutes they start getting unresponsive.

I'm not even able to shut down, since I'm unable to start the shutdown application. vzctl.log and syslog don't show any information besides "VE 123456 : Stopping VE ...". When shutting down via the power key, I'm able to catch a few error messages from openvz, complaining about problems with the network device driver. Unfortunately, I can't find these messages in any log files.

This might be a configuration problem. Does someone has experienced similar problems?
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32694 is a reply to message #32691] Sun, 24 August 2008 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
Check if you have any VE processes in uninterruptable sleep (the D state) or any HN kernel threads in D state?
If you got one of these ,specially kernel thread, then almost certainly your only solution is hard reset of HN.
By the way do you have nfs clients in your VE?
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32695 is a reply to message #32694] Sun, 24 August 2008 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No D states, no NFS client.

I'm rebooting the machine quite often (it's my desktop machine), so I tried hard resetting about 20 times since I discovered the problem Smile
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32697 is a reply to message #32695] Sun, 24 August 2008 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
Can you see with dmesg or on the console any kernel messages
, if you can't get to the console try setting network console.

Quote:

The problem is: Whenever I try to stop a container via "sudo vzctl stop <ID>", my keyboard stops working and I'm no longer able to start new applications
If your keyboard is stuck and you can run anny apps, how did you check that you have no D states? Smile
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32699 is a reply to message #32697] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finally got a kernel message:

"unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free."

It seems this bug was introduced while patching 028stab053 to the Hardy kernel. At least the last two comments to the Ubuntu Bug report indicate that I'm not the only user with that problem.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux/+bug/2 49137
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32738 is a reply to message #32691] Tue, 26 August 2008 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem is solved with the latest kernel (2.6.24-21) in "proposed". See https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/25 8044 for details.
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #32996 is a reply to message #32738] Tue, 16 September 2008 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darrenm is currently offline  darrenm
markusthielmann wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 22:07

The problem is solved with the latest kernel (2.6.24-21) in "proposed". See https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/25 8044 for details.

That kernel fixed it for me but now I have no sound. I'm not worried about that though.

I now can't stop VE's when I have NFS client mounts on them. I'm sure I saw something about making a change in the VE to stop the NFS mounts on a halt command but that doesn't seem to be working if I just add umount -a -tnfs to /etc/init.d/halt

Any ideas?
Re: OpenVZ on Ubuntu Hardy, can't stop containers [message #33007 is a reply to message #32691] Wed, 17 September 2008 08:45 Go to previous message
koct9i is currently offline  koct9i
NFS will be fixed in -22-openvz
http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1007
Previous Topic: HowToForge: Run WebVZ 2.0 on Debian
Next Topic: Can I simply create a VE from a running system?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 20:43:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02322 seconds