OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Specyfiing a mac address for vz interface
Specyfiing a mac address for vz interface [message #326] Fri, 11 November 2005 22:01 Go to next message
galik79 is currently offline  galik79
is tehre any way I can specify a MAC address for virtual interace ?
My network administrator needs a valid MAC address, to allow traffic on firewall
Re: Specyfiing a mac address for vz interface [message #331 is a reply to message #326] Sun, 13 November 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

galik, VPS virtual interface doesn't have MAC, since it doesn't send packets to the network directly. Instead all it's packets are routed to the real eth device, so packets are send to network with a MAC of your host node eth device.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Specyfiing a mac address for vz interface [message #334 is a reply to message #331] Mon, 14 November 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
galik79 is currently offline  galik79
yeah, i bumped into that topic when creating ipip tunnel on another box, but had hope, i missed something.

So if i want 2 external ip`s - 1 for underlying fedora, and 1 for openVZ, i should use 2 NIC`s with 2 different IP`s configured on them ? And use for connection with fedora, and second with VZ ?
Re: Specyfiing a mac address for vz interface [message #336 is a reply to message #334] Mon, 14 November 2005 09:49 Go to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

No, you don't need another NIC. Think of your OpenVZ host system as a router with a network segment of VPSs behind it. While each VPS have a distinct IP address, they all are routed via host system, thus the only MAC address visible from the outside is the on of the host system.

Still, with OpenVZ you can add another NIC and dedicate it for a VPS if you do really need it (but in most of the cases you don't).

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: debian+networking
Next Topic: Network Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 01:47:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02180 seconds