OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory - CentOS i386 Minimal precreated template
Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory - CentOS i386 Minimal precreated template [message #32532] Thu, 14 August 2008 10:29 Go to next message
fgomes is currently offline  fgomes
I've installed on a new server the last version of CentOS (5.2) i386, and installed OpenVZ on it. Then I have downloaded the minimal and the default CentOS 5 template (for i386 platform). When I create a VE based on the minimal template I've got this error when I try to use vzctl enter:

Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory

I've also tried the solution described here:

http://www.sherin.in/index.php/2008/05/15/unable-to-open-pty -no-such-file-or-directory

but after rebooting the VE the problem still persist. Is it a problem with the minimal template? Any fix available?

I've also made a VE based on the CentOS 5 default template, and it worked well. I just noticed that the default gateway is 192.0.2.1, and even if I change it on the /etc/sysconfig/network it gets replaced after rebooting the VE. Is this somehow hardcoded somewhere? I just want to understand if this is normal, the VE is working well! I'm using OpenVZ on several other servers (x64) and this doesn't happen on these servers (but these are 64 bit installations, and using CentOS 4 and 5.1, not 5.2)

Thanks in advance

Fernando
Re: Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory - CentOS i386 Minimal precreated template [message #32541 is a reply to message #32532] Thu, 14 August 2008 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
augustz is currently offline  augustz
I've had exactly the same problem using the template you described. The only difference is I am on x64.

I'm wondering if we should try rebuilding the Centos 5 minimal template. Do you have the installed package list of it?

- August

Re: Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory - CentOS i386 Minimal precreated template [message #32548 is a reply to message #32532] Fri, 15 August 2008 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

have you installed anything inside CentOS-minimal based VE?
"rpm -qa | grep udev"?
Please, look at this page
http://wiki.openvz.org/Container_enter_failed
Re: Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory - CentOS i386 Minimal precreated template [message #32587 is a reply to message #32548] Mon, 18 August 2008 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fgomes is currently offline  fgomes
Hi, I read the link you sent, and the following commands enable me to enter the VE:

vzctl exec 101 /sbin/MAKEDEV tty
vzctl exec 101 /sbin/MAKEDEV pty
vzctl enter 101

but this command fails:

cat > /etc/udev/makedev.d/51-udev.nodes

So, everytime I need to enter the VE I should do the first three commands. I decided to use the centos 5 default templete where this problem doesn't exist. Thanks for your help

Fernando
Re: Unable to open PTY: No such file or directory - CentOS i386 Minimal precreated template [message #32589 is a reply to message #32587] Mon, 18 August 2008 10:16 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Quote:

but this command fails:
cat > /etc/udev/makedev.d/51-udev.nodes

What does it mean "fails"?
The article suggests you to create /etc/udev/makedev.d/51-udev.nodes file and put down there the devices you want to be created automatically.
You can create that file manually and put there appropriate devices (tty, pty etc)
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Problem creating directory or file with foreign characters on VE based on Centos 5 template
Next Topic: Firewall configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 10 14:17:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04803 seconds