OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Troubleshooting VE start failure
Troubleshooting VE start failure [message #32556] Fri, 15 August 2008 15:44 Go to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
All of a sudden I'm having problems starting VEs. I'm not sure what changed but here's what I'm seeing,

Warning: distribution not specified default used /etc/vz/dists/default
Starting VE ...
VE is mounted
VE start failed
VE is unmounted

The VEs are 64bit Fedora 8.

What I'm wondering is - how do I get more information to track this down? I haven't rebooted or restarted the VZ process because I have some critical VEs running that I don't want to risk the possibility that they won't restart.

Re: Troubleshooting VE start failure [message #32558 is a reply to message #32556] Fri, 15 August 2008 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjy is currently offline  kenjy
Use umount to unlock it:

umount /vz/root/VEID

then try to start it again.

http://kenjy.net |Live net !!!
Re: Troubleshooting VE start failure [message #32562 is a reply to message #32556] Sat, 16 August 2008 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

There are a lot of approaches...

First of all, check dmesg | tail for any erorrs. Then run vzctl start with --verbose.

Check VE config (/etc/vz/conf/$VEID.conf) -- there should be a usual set of parameters. From what I see you do not have OSTEMPLATE parameter specified -- not a problem since vzctl falls to default which happen to be RedHat/Fedora and this is what you're actually running but for the sake of completeness set it to fedora-8 or smth.

If that won't help, issue vzctl mount $VEID and cd to /vz/root/$VEID. There you can see the VE filesystem. It should look like a normal Linux/UNIX filesystem, i.e. stuff like /bin /lib /sbin /usr /proc etc.

Now you can chroot into it and run some checks:
chroot /vz/root/$VEID
# check all RPM packages, there should be a number of warnings but not too much
rpm -Va
# (if rpm won't start that something really bad happened to your VE)
# check /dev, there should be some basic stuff
ls -l /dev
# check logs, they might give you a clue what happened
less /var/log/messages
# check /sbin/init
ls -l /sbin/init
ldd /sbin/init # see that all libraries are resolved
# check /etc/inittab
less /etc/inittab

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Troubleshooting VE start failure [message #32678 is a reply to message #32562] Sat, 23 August 2008 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pva0xd is currently offline  pva0xd

And while we are on topic. Is it possible to see messages from initscripts? How? If not, how do you guys debug initsystems? I have some troubles with openrc (system to manages the services, startup and shutdown of a host) and I'm sure it prints me correct error message but I don't see it...

[Updated on: Sat, 23 August 2008 07:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Troubleshooting VE start failure [message #32681 is a reply to message #32556] Sat, 23 August 2008 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
I have to agree. I would like a vzctl option where I can start a VE and watch the init script run.

Re: Troubleshooting VE start failure [message #32684 is a reply to message #32678] Sat, 23 August 2008 21:37 Go to previous message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
IMHO ,in general ,each distribution should support logging the init boot process to some file.
With openrc you can set rc_logger="YES" and it should log the init boot output to /var/log/rc.log
(Similar to baselayout-1* with RC_BOOTLOG="yes" in /etc/rc.conf
and app-admin/showconsole installed.)
However it looks like (at least for me) setting rc_logger="YES" does not work with openrc and openvz combination. I'd be glad
if you can check it /var/log/rc.log is created then you set rc_logger="YES in /etc/rc.conf in VE with openrc installed, so that i could report this bug in openrc as a common problem for all openvz+openrc users.
Previous Topic: [solved] x86_64 Kernel: 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.028s won't boot
Next Topic: VE fails to startx
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 05:28:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03011 seconds