OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ Density
Re: OpenVZ Density [message #32303 is a reply to message #32299] Wed, 30 July 2008 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
The answer isn't that I don't know... the answer has been clearly given by two people... and to review:

Q: What is the formula for computing maximum container density on a given piece of hardware?

A: There isn't one.

An obvious basic formula would be:

(physical RAM + swap) divided by (amount of ram [or average] you want each container to have) = number of containers

Of course that's just for memory... and given the fact that OpenVZ has about 20-ish resource parameters, 4 or so of which are memory related, that formula would only answer one piece. I'll admit that the memory resource parameters are quite complex and somewhat confusing. There is a wiki page on resource management where they discuss the various memory parameters and give formulas showing what each represents... and they are quite complicated... not by mathematical standards... but by wrapping your head around it standards.

I don't usually come off sounding like a smart ass... but for whatever reason... I have in this thread. Sorry. I hope you can overlook that and make some progress.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message