OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ on top of UML?
OpenVZ on top of UML? [message #32207] Fri, 25 July 2008 16:10 Go to next message
accessory is currently offline  accessory
Hi:

I am trying to run openvz as a user-mode linux guest OS. From here: http://wiki.openvz.org/Porting_the_kernel. I found that openvz does not support UML yet, but it seems it is not a very difficult work to port it for an expert.

I am new to linux and just wondering if anyone has done this already? Rolling Eyes

I tried to compile ovz 2.6.18 kernel with ARCH=um directly, but got some error. Sad

I think if openvz is ported to UML, then it is easier for the developers to debug openvz too. But maybe the developers are so skillful that they don't care?
Re: OpenVZ on top of UML? [message #32263 is a reply to message #32207] Tue, 29 July 2008 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I really don't know much about User Mode Linux but I have gotten OpenVZ to install inside of VMware Server and KVM just fine. I'd assume the same is possible with fully virtualized Xen, VirtualBox, and Parallels too but I have not tried to install OpenVZ on those.

Given the fact that OpenVZ (and OS Virtualization in general) easily out performs machine / hardware virtualization, installing the former into the later isn't done a whole lot in production systems... to the best of my knowledge... so the whole concept isn't that popular. UML is a hybrid system and doesn't, as I understand it, provide as complete an environment as the machine / hardware virtualization products do... so I'd imagine there would be a considerable amount of work getting OpenVZ and UML to interoperate.

Once containers make it into the mainline, perhaps there would be an improved chance of UML and containers working together.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on top of UML? [message #32269 is a reply to message #32263] Tue, 29 July 2008 13:08 Go to previous message
accessory is currently offline  accessory
I agree with you. I just want to debug OpenVZ kernel easily so I try to use UML for debugging. If there are other ways that I can easily debug openVZ, that will be great.

Thanks.
Previous Topic: vzmigrate and shared filesystems
Next Topic: 64bit template create errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 14:18:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02804 seconds