OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » IPv6 with venet : is it possible ?
Re: IPv6 with venet : is it possible ? [message #32190 is a reply to message #31324] Thu, 24 July 2008 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
broquea is currently offline  broquea
I've got OpenVZ working with native IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack connectivity. I'm certain it can work with a tunnel, but for my experience with this I have native available.

HN runs CentOS 5.1 32bit

ISP provides me with a single /64 allocation and provide gateway on their router. So for this example, I have A:B:C:D::/64, and A:B:C:D::1 is configured on their router, and A:B:C:D::2 is assigned to eth0 on the HN, and A:B:C:D::3+ I can assign to my VEs.

Inside the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6ADDR=A:B:C:D::2/64
IPV6FORWARDING=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no

Inside /etc/sysconfig/networking:
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
IPV6_DEFAULTGW=A:B:C:D::1
IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=eth0

Inside /etc/sysctl.conf:
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1

Now I've got 2 machines running OpenVZ, one running CentOS 5.0 and the other 5.1. The 5.1 requires after a reboot, to run:
ifconfig venet0 0

Otherwise the VEs with IPv6 configured in them do not start up on that machine. There is probably some fix for this already that I haven't paid attention to, but for now I have modified my system to run that before starting OpenVZ.

I've also seen in the past that under CentOS as the HN, you had to run the following to set the default IPv6 route:
route -A inet6 2000::/3 dev eth0

I found that using the "vzctl set VEID --ipadd" command supports IPv6, and that is how I assign IPv6 addresses to my VEs.

A trick for those who find that their IPv6 times out after, well.... no use, is to configure NTP on the system to use an IPv6 time server. NTP uses very little bandwidth, and checks frequently enough to act as a keepalive.

If this helps, awesome! If you still need help, let me know, and I'll see what I can cook up.

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Additional H.D.D
Next Topic: Ubuntu PowerPC - How to Install OpenVZ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 02 18:15:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04985 seconds