OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzpkgcache centos-4-i386-default no longer work
Re: vzpkgcache centos-4-i386-default no longer work (vztmpl dead?) [message #31417 is a reply to message #31414] Fri, 27 June 2008 17:52 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Steve,

I agree... it would be great to have the following:

1) Current vztmpl packages for all rpm-based distros
2) Updated vzyum / vzpkgcache commands that will work on newer RHEL/CentOS releases including x86_64

I'm not sure why development / maintenance of them has fallen behind... but I know I can't fix them.

With containers moving into the mainline kernel the future of OpenVZ does look uncertain... and as a result I think (although I don't have an evidence one way or another) that the efforts put into OpenVZ development have been reduced some. The RHEL4 and RHEL5 based kernels are lagging a few versions behind... as Red Hat cranks out new versions quite frequently... and there hasn't been a stable branch newer than 2.6.18 released.

I can see that there are a number of background activities going on but without some sort of periodic "what's going on now" from Kir, it is hard to know what is going on. I know he has been working on the wiki, switching from the old site... and I believe he is working on an automated built system for OS Templates (maybe for Virtuozzo and/or OpenVZ, I'm not sure).

There is an OpenVZ community... but not much of an OpenVZ development community... outside of the folks at SWsoft/Parallels. That has kind of been the nature of OpenVZ since the beginning.

I believe Parallels' goals are to help get containers into the mainline kernel so they are well positioned as a provider of management systems... and they are very busy with their own products.

If some additional folks want to get involved in development (I don't have the programming skills myself) we might be able to get some of these issues taken care of.

Having said that... not having the desired things I mentioned at the start of this post... aren't that big of a deal because we can work around them... and the message about how to work around seems to be getting out ok.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Contolling the number of CPU cores used per VE
Next Topic: Is name based forwarding possible on LAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 01 14:15:01 GMT 2024