OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue
icon8.gif  Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #3128] Sat, 13 May 2006 08:04 Go to next message
pnet is currently offline  pnet
I've got two questions.

1. How could a program supported by SW-Soft, not correctly support the installation of an SW-Soft product?

2. Does anyone have a fix for the Plesk 8 error related to "Hostname verification"?

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that, openVZ creates a "hosts" file in the form of:

127.0.0.1 host.domain.com host localhost localhost.localdomain

Rather than traditional setup of:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
<public_ip_here> host.domain.com host

Thanks in advance for any assistance, as I'd really like to use openVZ, but need to ensure that it'll support at least Plesk.

* UPDATED *

I stand corrected. After doing some more messing around, all it took was to change the "hosts" file, with the "traditional" style.

Additionally, I needed to register in DNS the "host.domain.com" entry to point to "<public_ip_here>". Once this was completed, the installation via the "autoinstaller" completed without issue.

Hope this helps others in the same situation.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 May 2006 08:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #3133 is a reply to message #3128] Sun, 14 May 2006 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RapidVPS is currently offline  RapidVPS
Quote:

1. How could a program supported by SW-Soft, not correctly support the installation of an SW-Soft product?

Plesk support is much stronger on Commercial VZ. If you are hosting multiple Plesk VPS, there are considerable advantages to purchasing and using commercial VZ over openVZ. I don't think Swsoft has any intention of supporting Plesk on openVZ any more than they would support it on xen, linux-vserver, etc.

Rick
Re: Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #3148 is a reply to message #3133] Mon, 15 May 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

Moreover, AFAIK, Plesk + Virtuozzo is cheaper than standalone Plesk. So why to run it in OpenVZ?

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #4129 is a reply to message #3128] Thu, 29 June 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wyndryder is currently offline  wyndryder
It's cheaper? Last I inquired, Virtuozzo costed over 2.5k.

Re: Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #4144 is a reply to message #4129] Thu, 29 June 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weycresto is currently offline  weycresto

$2.5k? Possibly only if you intend to host over 80+ VPS on a Dual CPU machine in which cases it still only works out at about $30 per VPS. Licences start from just 3 CPU. The cost is offset by cheaper Plesk licences, plus you get VZPP, management tools and templates for Plesk and other applications, which assist hosting density.

However Cpanel treat OpenVZ and Virtuozzo as the same (they logged into one of my cpanel VPS's to verify) so qualify for the cheaper $7 cpanel vps licence for Virtuozzo (if you are a Cpanel NOC partner).

BestRegards

Paul Lee
www.weycrest.co.uk
Re: Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #4149 is a reply to message #3128] Fri, 30 June 2006 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wyndryder is currently offline  wyndryder
Well, I plan to run plesk on only one of the VPS instances. The other VPS, I will be using for as back up server, file server, DB server, etc.. So I think Virtuozzo would be overkill at the moment. Besides, I can't afford the price at the moment. But I do plan on purchasing Virtuozzo in the future.
Re: Plesk 8 - Fedora Core 4 - Hostname Issue [message #4175 is a reply to message #4149] Fri, 30 June 2006 16:47 Go to previous message
weycresto is currently offline  weycresto

Hello

I mean't to say that Virtuozzo starts from just 3 VPS licence and single CPU. I tend to run my infrastucture servers within OpenVZ (DNS, mail etc...). Also had quite a bit of success migrating older legacy servers (RH 7.3/RH9 etc..) to virtual instances in OpenVZ. Just copy / /bin /usr /sbin etc over, create a conf file, assign an IP and boot!

BestRegards

Paul Lee
www.weycrest.co.uk
Previous Topic: 2.6.8 nat not work
Next Topic: *SOLVED* 2.6.8 lifetime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 11:31:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02306 seconds