OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Network newb questions - multiple nics, mac address
Network newb questions - multiple nics, mac address [message #31308] Tue, 24 June 2008 14:47 Go to next message
jpennock is currently offline  jpennock
I have a centos5 x86_64 system running that has 2 network cards in it. I have 8 virtual machines running, and everything seems to be working great.
I have two things I'm working on now:
#1 -
The vm's are running an application that is pretty network intensive, so I'm trying to figure out how to tell vm's 0-3 to use eth0, and vm's 4-7 to use eth1. I'm not too network savvy, so I've been trying bits and pieces of things I've gleaned from the forum, but haven't been successful.
#2 -
The application we are running looks for the mac address of the machine for licensing and identification. We have a work around from the software vendor, but it's cumbersome at best, so I've been researching for a way to have a mac address without the performance hit mentioned for the veth device.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Re: Network newb questions - multiple nics, mac address [message #31314 is a reply to message #31308] Tue, 24 June 2008 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi,

Quote:

#1 -
The vm's are running an application that is pretty network intensive, so I'm trying to figure out how to tell vm's 0-3 to use eth0, and vm's 4-7 to use eth1. I'm not too network savvy, so I've been trying bits and pieces of things I've gleaned from the forum, but haven't been successful.

Well, you can try to configure source based routing on the Hardware Node - i mean if a packet came with source address from Containers 0-3, then process table A with default gateway X.
If a packet came with source address from Containers 4-7, then process table B with default gateway Y.

Another solution is to use veth and create two bridges:
* bridge 1 : eth0 + veth0 + veth1 + veth2 + veth3
* bridge 2 : eth1 + veth4 + veth5 + veth6 + veth7

Quote:

#2 -
The application we are running looks for the mac address of the machine for licensing and identification. We have a work around from the software vendor, but it's cumbersome at best, so I've been researching for a way to have a mac address without the performance hit mentioned for the veth device.

Unfortunately venet interface cannot have a MAC address, so you have to create a veth device for a Container.
Note: you can just create veth interface for Container and continue using venet - they are not alternative.
Note1: if you afraid of veth performance degradation, just compare the performance of configuration with veth and with venet. And it would be great if you'll share the results. Smile
Quite probably that the degradation won't be noticable at all - it depends on really many factors.

Hope this helps.

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Network newb questions - multiple nics, mac address [message #31485 is a reply to message #31308] Tue, 01 July 2008 15:49 Go to previous message
jpennock is currently offline  jpennock
Status report -
I've been able to build veth devices for each of the machines, and our software is happy with that. We haven't had the time to run performance tests yet, but when we do I'll post the results here.

Next step is to bridge the network connections so 4 of the machines talk through eth0 and 4 of them talk through eth1.

I'll let you know how it goes. . .
Previous Topic: upstart: touch or creation of a file in /etc/event.d causes ve to crash
Next Topic: OpenVZ ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 00:27:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02860 seconds