OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel
RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1247] Fri, 03 February 2006 17:58 Go to next message
Ronny is currently offline  Ronny
Hi

as you all may know, I work on a free / open adminpanel, too.
My first version is already near production release, but, there are still some questions open. Kir didn´t respond my questions in the last time (don´t know why).

If someone wants to have a look: http://www.ronny-goerner.de/vzadmin.html

I just looked some lines in the code from the Guy who already did a tool.

--vmguarpages="16072:2147483647"
--privvmpages="16072"

Is this really enough to set RAM to 16 MB? Or is there need to set more parameters?

I do another way currently.

a) program searchs for total amount of MEM (2 GB For example)
b) if a server should become 128 m for example, i use vzsplit for 16 servers, and then use the example config-file to setup the new vps

What is better way, use my way or his way?

Would be nice to get some feedback.

Also, I would NOT use this script for production in a real-datacenter. I do NOT use exec / sudo in my scripts, I use a database and a cronjob. Much more secure, I think. And NO, I don´t want to fire his work Smile

Thanks,
Ronny

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2006 18:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1249 is a reply to message #1247] Fri, 03 February 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RapidVPS is currently offline  RapidVPS
Hi Ronny,

The web interface looks cool.

>Or is there need to set more parameters?
The oomguarpages resource is very important and is related to ram. It is measured in pages, (4k).

I agree that sql/cron model is more secure than having the web script run commands as root.

If someone bad attained access to your panel, at least they would be unable to rm -rf the system. One easily could when a web script executes command line arguments as root, based on the GET/POST array in php.

Rick
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1262 is a reply to message #1247] Fri, 03 February 2006 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
devnu11 is currently offline  devnu11

Is it possible to download your panel? I don't see any links on your page.

Just Because You Have One, Doesn't Mean You Have To Be One!
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1272 is a reply to message #1247] Sun, 05 February 2006 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

Ronny, we are very intrested in such tools and very appreciate your work and efforts. As I said before if you release it under GPL we will help in setting up forum, bugzilla etc. Kir is quite busy these 2 weeks as he is preparing for the conference and will be travelling one week. We will try to help as much as possible while he is out.

About resource usage.
This depends on. Your way looks more good for me, though I'm not sure it will give the same results on 2 different machines.
I personally would suggest to create a bunch of VPS configs which are similar to 16Mb, 64Mb, 128Mb, 256Mb, 512Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb, unlimited and so on. And ask a user what config he wants to use as base for a new VPS.
This way also allows to change VPS parameters on the fly also via --applyconfig

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1273 is a reply to message #1262] Sun, 05 February 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

before I release a version to public, the problem with the ram-limitations has to be solved. I don´t want to publish "trash". Maybe you can send me an internal message how I can calculate the settings dynamically (based on actually total memory) for 16,32,64,128 M and so on.

Filesystem is already been calculated on the fly Smile.

Thanks
Ronny
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1274 is a reply to message #1273] Sun, 05 February 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

use the same vzsplit to create these configs.
it is better to create them once and use the same configs on all machines with predifined results rather then call vzsplit tool every time. I meant this.

Also it would be nice, if user had an ability to modify parameters of the default config, for those who want the details.

P.S. can you make a bit more fine grained screenshots please (it is impossible to read the text on current ones)?

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1275 is a reply to message #1273] Sun, 05 February 2006 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you set me up a Fedora Core 4 Box, I can prepare an INTERNAL demo. Thanks
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #1643 is a reply to message #1247] Fri, 17 February 2006 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
disaster is currently offline  disaster
Hello!

Do you know a release date for your work? Or perhaps you can publish a beta or alpha version? That would be really nice!

Stefan
Re: RAM Limitations / Questions / Adminpanel [message #3130 is a reply to message #1643] Sat, 13 May 2006 22:18 Go to previous message
radial is currently offline  radial
Hi,

Did this admin panel ever go anywhere? I checked the site but don't see any progress and it would be really great to see a panel working... I'd be happy to contribute to help get this finished Smile

Radial.
Previous Topic: Help me with CPU LIMIT
Next Topic: HN copy files to VPS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 15:22:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02659 seconds