OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Compatibility: FC9
Re: Compatibility: FC9 [message #31289 is a reply to message #30661] Tue, 24 June 2008 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I *REALLY* like Fedora as a desktop OS. I have been using Red Hat since 1996... and use Fedora on my personal desktops... BUT given the rapid nature of their release cycle (every 6 months), their lack of a supported/recommended upgrade path from one release to the next, and their short support cycle (2N +1)... I really CAN NOT recommend using Fedora for a host node OS for OpenVZ. I *REALLY* recommend that if you want to use a Red Hat-based distro for your OpenVZ host node you use RHEL or any RHEL-based distro like CentOS. Two of the three OpenVZ "stable" kernel trees are based on RHEL kernels (RHEL4 2.6.9 and RHEL5 2.6.18) so the stable OpenVZ kernels are actually designed for RHEL/CentOS.

If you want to try using Xen and OpenVZ together in the same kernel, there is also a combined kernel that you can download from the OpenVZ project website... although I don't recall if it has been tagged as "stable" or not... but it too is RHEL kernel based if I remember correctly.

If you want to try KVM and OpenVZ in the same kernel, I'd recommend you give Proxmox VE a try. It is based on a 2.6.24 kernel and has some issues with checkpointing/migration but it has been stable in my limited experience with it.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message icon1.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any tool to monitor the intercommunication between VPS and HN?
Next Topic: problem compiling Kernel RHEL5 028stab057.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 00:24:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02522 seconds