OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » java problem
java problem [message #300] Mon, 07 November 2005 08:36 Go to next message
amattila is currently offline  amattila
Hello,

My company is evaluating openVZ for production use, but we ran into problem with java.

Last week I installed fedora core 4, kernel for openvz and tools. I downloaded cached template (fedora core 4), and installed with instructions from http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&th=59&mid=2 66&&rev=&reveal=

It starts ok, I can connect via ssh, apache seems to be running, lynx works, net works etc. All looked fine, but when I installed java from rpm, it always crashes:

[root@localhost bin]# pwd
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_05/bin
[root@localhost bin]# ./java
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x403bc27e, pid=7853, tid=1075189440
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_05-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# V [libjvm.so+0x25a27e]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid7853.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
Aborted
[root@localhost bin]#

I used the sample configuration file and vzid = 100.

Any suggestions?
Re: java problem [message #301 is a reply to message #300] Tue, 08 November 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Thanks for reporting the problem, I have filed a bug for it to our bugzilla (see bug #68). If you want to track its progress, please create an account in bugzilla and add yourself into Cc for this bug.

We will first try to reproduce the problem on our server; if if fails could it be possible to provide an ssh access to your server for our engineer?

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: java problem [message #302 is a reply to message #301] Tue, 08 November 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that can be done. Thanks for your effort.
Re: java problem [message #303 is a reply to message #302] Tue, 08 November 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

Hello amatilla,

java1.5 works fine. but it consumes lot's of resources, so we saw out of memory problems with default UBC settings. this included: numproc, privvmpages and kmemsize.

SIGSEGV can happen since java handles it's VM by hands, so it's probably it's
bug when Out-Of-memory happens...

to fix the problems, thirst check that /proc/user_beancounters contains non-zero failcounters (i.e. there were resource shortages when java died). Next, use `vzctl set VPSID` to increase those parameter limits to allow VPS consume more of it.

Re: java problem [message #304 is a reply to message #302] Tue, 08 November 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

In addition to what dev just said, I have prepared some VPS configs that might help you to deal with the problem faster. These are versions of vps.basic, where all the user beancounter (UBC) parameters are scaled up x2, x4 and x8 times.

Attached files are to be placed to /etc/sysconfig/vz-scripts/ directory. Next, try to apply x2 config to your existing VPS by executing the following command:

vzctl set <VPSID> --applyconfig vps.basic.x2

That will apply all the parameters from the new config to your VPS. Note that you don't have to restart your VPS for the changes to be applied.

Next, try running Java etc. If you will found this config is not sufficient (i.e. some fail counters (last column in /proc/user_beancounters) keeps increasing), try x4 config etc.

When you find your config to be sufficient, you may apply it permanently (so parameters will be saved to VPS config file and will stay the same after the reboot):

vzctl set <VPSID> --applyconfig vps.basic.x2 --save

An alternative approach is to use vzsplit utility, which tries to create a configuration suitable for running N VPSs on your box.

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: java problem [message #309 is a reply to message #304] Thu, 10 November 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much! I tested the 2x config, and it works.

I'm planning to run Tomcat & Mysql & Apache on single node. Lets see what happens.
Re: java problem [message #312 is a reply to message #300] Thu, 10 November 2005 13:51 Go to previous message
Got them working ok!
Previous Topic: COMPAQ/HP ARRAY SUPPORT
Next Topic: debian+networking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 22:15:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02865 seconds