OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Accessing PCI Devices from VE
Accessing PCI Devices from VE [message #30839] Sun, 08 June 2008 15:21 Go to next message
sjdean is currently offline  sjdean
Could you tell me whether OpenVZ supports accessing physical devices on the Host from the VE?

The plan is, amongst other things, to setup an Asterisk container and if I need to perform any system upgrades, I envisage just swapping migrating the container to another host.

It's a home network only so...

But lspci seems not to work. Should it?

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

What can I do to get this working then?

Thanks
Simon
Re: Accessing PCI Devices from VE [message #30847 is a reply to message #30839] Mon, 09 June 2008 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

I was suggested to show you the following link
http://wiki.openvz.org/Asterisk_from_source

with a mention that this way will be useful if you are not going to use analog telephony. Hope this helps you.
Re: Accessing PCI Devices from VE [message #30850 is a reply to message #30847] Mon, 09 June 2008 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the problem, i do need to use an analog telephony device, hence the requirement to access PCI devices directly.
Re: Accessing PCI Devices from VE [message #30855 is a reply to message #30850] Mon, 09 June 2008 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirill Shileev is currently offline  Kirill Shileev
In general, it should be possible to get access to analog telephony drivers by that the same technique like in case of ztdummy. You need:
1. install kernel drivers for your device on HN in usual way:
put your *.ko to /lib/modules/you_kernel and then modprobe you_module_name
2. declare it visible in relevant CT by
vzctl set CTID --devnodes you_device_file_name:rw --save.

Here's imperative to remember that device drivers are to be loaded on HN, in CT it's not allowed, while Asterisk software will perfectly run in CT.

That's it. But, please, take a note, that I never tested this since I don't have the corresponding hardware.

Kirill
Re: Accessing PCI Devices from VE [message #30856 is a reply to message #30855] Mon, 09 June 2008 11:19 Go to previous message
I'll give it a try and post back with results.

And also if anyone needs my SmoothWALL 3.0 Container let me know. It sort of works but needs a couple of manual fudges, but it's accessible now Smile and the web interface works. Suspect Smoothwall would need to add in some fixes though.

Cheers
Simon
Previous Topic: LVM backup 512MB free
Next Topic: Does this kernel support cpanel quotas?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 15:41:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02908 seconds