OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Ubuntu 7.10 & 8.04 fail to reboot or shutdown
Ubuntu 7.10 & 8.04 fail to reboot or shutdown [message #30599] Thu, 29 May 2008 20:00 Go to previous message
ByteBeam is currently offline  ByteBeam
I've installed OpenVZ on Ubuntu 7.10 & 8.04 using fzakernel-2.6.18-686 for testing purposes (I'm not very versed in Linux).

I've setup two VE's, one running a LAMP (VE 101), and one SAMBA (VE 102). Everything runs just fine until I issue either a reboot, shutdown or poweroff, in which case only the VE with the highest numeric ID is stopped.

Issuing a "vzlist --all" tells me that SAMBA is unmounted, while LAMP is running. If I stop manually the VE's before issuing a reboot, shutdown or poweroff, then the system acts as expected.

The behavior is exactly the same on both distros. The machine is an IBM x345 8670-31X with 1 GB ram, Xeon 2.4 Ghz and two SCSI 36Gb disks in RAID1 config. I've also tried ubuntu distros + various OpenVZ kernels on noname servers and the behavior is exactly the same.

Hence I've written a tiny scripts which stop all the running VE's that I call manually before issuing a reboot, shutdown or poweroff. But I'm just concerned if the problem could leave anything related to the VE's or the filesystem in an inconsistent state for the times an operator would forget to manually stop the VE's.

Is this behavior something I should worry about ?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: cPanel + OpenVZ ?
Next Topic: iptables help please
Goto Forum: