OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Settings for no limits
Settings for no limits [message #30082] Fri, 09 May 2008 05:20 Go to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
One thing that would really be helpful is setting for VEs to be unlimited. There are lots of things to set and it's confusing to me as to try to set things high enough to never hit a limit. What I'm wanting to do is see a feature like setting the limits to 0 to mean unlimited.

And - really need a way to clear the failcount easily. There is no reliable way to clear the failcount without rebooting the server.

Any chance to see these features?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Settings for no limits [message #30217 is a reply to message #30082] Fri, 16 May 2008 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

Quote:

One thing that would really be helpful is setting for VEs to be unlimited. There are lots of things to set and it's confusing to me as to try to set things high enough to never hit a limit. What I'm wanting to do is see a feature like setting the limits to 0 to mean unlimited.

I've noticed that some people have asked the same question before that is why I asked about this feature and answers were the following:
- All OpenVZ efforts direct to isolate containers from each other and don't allow to break the whole system from inside the CT. "Unlimited VE" doesn't differ from the common "chroot" somewhere.

- Several "Unlimited VE" on the same system is not save decision. They are potential problem.

So, I think this feature won't appear in near future.

Quote:

And - really need a way to clear the failcount easily. There is no reliable way to clear the failcount without rebooting the server.

Do you mean HN or CT?
Have you read
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_failcnt_reset

P.S. Briefly speaking, that sorts of action are not save. And security is very important point of OpenVZ.
Re: Settings for no limits [message #30221 is a reply to message #30082] Fri, 16 May 2008 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
I've read your links and the bottom line is that the beancounters are broken from my perspective. The bottom line is that a 5 minute wait isn't acceptable and even at that it doesn't always work. I don't think that one should have to reboot the server to clear the failcount.

Re: Settings for no limits [message #30256 is a reply to message #30221] Mon, 19 May 2008 09:08 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

1. What about CONFIG_UBC_KEEP_UNUSED option? What kernel do you use?

2. After you've stopped your VE what column in /proc/user_beancounters [your VE statistics] is not zero.

2. You can compile kernel with CONFIG_UBC_DEBUG, CONFIG_UBC_DEBUG_KMEM options and then check some debug information in /proc/bc/VEID/ directory after your VE has stopped.
Previous Topic: Openvz and emc SAN
Next Topic: Setting up a HN-based firewall
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 10 16:17:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10595 seconds