OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » X inside a VE
X inside a VE [message #29652] Mon, 21 April 2008 07:16
belkhal is currently offline  belkhal
Hi,

This question may be off topic; but I'm not really sure where else to ask:

I was looking to install gnome into a VE; but then ran across this wiki page http://wiki.openvz.org/X_inside_VE

I am a bit confused at what the difference is between installing a full gnome desktop environment into a VE versus what the wiki page is describing.

Am I understanding that one solution installs a full desktop so that the VE itself has a windows manager and is capable of displaying a GUI on the local system (say, a monitor attached to the server); while the "X inside the VE" method simply installs the necessary components so that I can run X applications on the server -- but forwarding the output over the internet to my own PC?

Furthermore, does that also mean that with a full desktop environment, I would utilize something like VNC to connect to the server (say, from Windows) and rely on the server to manage the windows, and VNC to send the screen back to me.... While, the other solution would rely on a local windows manager (say, Xming for Windows) to manage the drawing of the windows on my local PC?
Previous Topic: Duplicating working VPS with tar/cp
Next Topic: Trouble installing kernel on Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 22:15:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02884 seconds