OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzmigrate - keep source online and set destination offline
vzmigrate - keep source online and set destination offline [message #28999] Thu, 03 April 2008 09:39 Go to next message
beyondx is currently offline  beyondx
Hi everyone,

sorry for bugging again, but as this forum serves great support, I need to ask you once more.
I´m working on a simple backup-system for an OpenVZ HardwareNode. In fact I would like to clone running VEs onto another HardwareNode.
My first choice was vzdump. Unfortunately restoring of rather big VEs takes a lot of time. Thus I would like to use vzmigrate, which supports online-migration with acceptable downtime.
However as I only want the destination VE to be a backup, I need to set it offline, while the source remains online. Is this possible somehow? Just couldn´t find a solution or cheatcode.

Regards

Norman
Re: vzmigrate - keep source online and set destination offline [message #29033 is a reply to message #28999] Thu, 03 April 2008 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curx

Have you tried, vzdump with the --suspend option, for backuping the
the container ?

Re: vzmigrate - keep source online and set destination offline [message #29036 is a reply to message #29033] Thu, 03 April 2008 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beyondx is currently offline  beyondx
yeah I did, but actually this creates a backup-dump which needs desperate much time to be restored afterwards. Thus I´m looking for a faster way. Backups need up to 10gb...
Re: vzmigrate - keep source online and set destination offline [message #29045 is a reply to message #29036] Thu, 03 April 2008 19:58 Go to previous message
tomp is currently offline  tomp
Hi

You could try suspending, rsyncing, and then resuming:

vzctl chkpnt 103 --suspend
rsync -avH --delete /vz/root/103/ /home/vzbackups/103/
vzctl chkpnt 103 --resume
Previous Topic: Routing Messed Up
Next Topic: Change container ID on the fly?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 07:11:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03910 seconds