OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo?
oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo? [message #28499] Thu, 20 March 2008 21:50 Go to next message
TheWiseOne is currently offline  TheWiseOne
Wouldn't it make sense to have the virtualized meminfo use oomguarpages for the usage rather than privvmpages? This should give a clearer figure for real RAM usage. I suppose this could be made as another mode to the meminfo option, such as oomguarpages:value to track oomguarpages as used memory and value as the max memory in pages.

Matt Ayres
TekTonic

[Updated on: Thu, 20 March 2008 21:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo? [message #28618 is a reply to message #28499] Tue, 25 March 2008 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Matt,

You can set sysctl kernel.ve_meminfo = 1
it switches meminfo virtualisation to show oomguarpages as used memory.
Also I would note that you can set required max memory directly by using "pages:value" mode.

Or you just want to set max memory by using recalculated oomguarpages limit?

Thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo? [message #28644 is a reply to message #28618] Tue, 25 March 2008 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any timeframe for having a working barrier/limit for the physpages parameter?
Re: oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo? [message #28694 is a reply to message #28644] Wed, 26 March 2008 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Matt

According to Kirill Korotaev ETA ~3-4 month.

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo? [message #28719 is a reply to message #28694] Wed, 26 March 2008 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would anyone be interested (OpenVZ team or not) be interested in being sponsored to work on a physpages barrier/limit right now? Contact me if interested. All work would be open sourced and submitted for inclusion in OpenVZ.

Matt Ayres
TekTonic
Re: oomguarpages instead of privvmpages for meminfo? [message #28901 is a reply to message #28499] Mon, 31 March 2008 15:59 Go to previous message
swindmill is currently offline  swindmill
It sounds like this feature would help me greatly, as accounting for physpages would allow programs like java which allocate a lot of memory to be better constrained.
Previous Topic: WebVZ: OpenVZ Web Management Tool
Next Topic: TCP/IP Client/Server Kernel Module
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 16:12:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03115 seconds