OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Problem with connecting to VPS guess
Problem with connecting to VPS guess [message #28215] Tue, 11 March 2008 19:09 Go to next message
joelee is currently offline  joelee
Hi All, I just noticed a strange problem where I could not ssh into a few of my VE's... I was able to access to those ve's via the hardware node (vzctl enter ve:id)... When I connected to the ve I see that the Hostname suddenly changed to:

I have no name!@host122:/#

Before it had a proper name set which I did not change. Any thoughts, comments/suggest?

BTW, I check all UBC counters and they are all clean. And, I am able to access the web apps running in the ve's with the noticed problem.

Thanks, joe
Re: Problem with connecting to VPS guess [message #28235 is a reply to message #28215] Wed, 12 March 2008 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

I'm sorry but I didn't understand you.
What problem do you have?
You cannot connect to VE via ssh, can you?

Please check that ssh is running inside VE, look at this page
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=26121&& amp;srch=makedev+ptmx#msg_26121
Re: Problem with connecting to VPS guess [message #28318 is a reply to message #28235] Thu, 13 March 2008 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus wrote on Wed, 12 March 2008 06:06

Hi,

I'm sorry but I didn't understand you.
What problem do you have?
You cannot connect to VE via ssh, can you?

Please check that ssh is running inside VE, look at this page
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=26121&& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp;srch=makedev+ptmx#msg_26121

Yes, I can't SSH... The problem seems to happen again and it's strange. When I reboot the VPS I can ssh fine and the hostname for the vps is set to how it configured in my vps.conf file.
Ex: user1@v120/#:

But, after some while past I would try to ssh back into the vps and I can't... So, I try to access vps via the HN and I get in and I see the hostname miraculously changes to:
I have no name!@v120:/#

Then I check my UBC counters to see if there's any failed resources that could be causing problem and all UBC shows up clean. And, I am able to access web app residing in vps o.k...

Note: I check the processes on the VPS and ssh is running...
But, don't understand why it locks me out from getting in and showing the changed hostname on the vps.

FYI: I have just done some googling around for this problem and found someone with a similar type issue. Except for me I am not running any LDAP services. Here the link:
http://www.ducea.com/2008/03/07/ldap-troubleshooting-i-have- no-name/

Other Links:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200302/msg00 342.html

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200302/msg00 317.html

Joe

[Updated on: Thu, 13 March 2008 21:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with connecting to VPS guess [message #28333 is a reply to message #28318] Fri, 14 March 2008 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

It's difficult to say anything because we haven't got any error message.

Quote:

But, after some while past I would try to ssh back into the vps and I can't

1. Please use "strace" utility and provide us with the output of it. It will might be anything there.
2. Any error messages?

Quote:

So, I try to access vps via the HN

1. Did you try access VPS via "vzctl enter"?

Quote:

I get in and I see the hostname miraculously changes

I'm sorry but seems to me hostname didn't change. I suppose somebody change your /etc/passwd file.
OK, let conduct such experiment:
1. Please check your /etc/passwd file especially pay attention to string concerning root. (inside VE)
2. Please increase LOG_LEVEL parameter to 10 in /etc/vz/vz.conf file. And try enter again from HN. Any error messages?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 March 2008 09:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with connecting to VPS guess [message #28346 is a reply to message #28333] Fri, 14 March 2008 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maratrus, thanks for your comments/response below. Here some answers to your question:

Quote:

1. Did you try access VPS via "vzctl enter"?

Yes that's right... I did a vzctl enter vps# when I could not ssh directly to the VPS... Once I vzctl enter into vps I see the hostname change as explained in my post.

Quote:

1. Please use "strace" utility and provide us with the output of it. It will might be anything there.
2. Any error messages?

Sorry, I don't know much about using strace... Can you give me some detail on this. Do I need to install this to use it? Should it be installed in VPS or HN? What are the command syntax I should use to get the output you want?
FYI, I am using debian system on both HN & vpses...

Quote:

I'm sorry but seems to me hostname didn't change. I suppose somebody change your /etc/passwd file.
OK, let conduct such experiment:
1. Please check your /etc/passwd file especially pay attention to string concerning root. (inside VE)
2. Please increase LOG_LEVEL parameter to 10 in /etc/vz/vz.conf file. And try enter again from HN. Any error messages?

I did above, I change Log_Level and vzctl enter into the VPS... Currently, I am not getting the error as I had rebooted vps. The problem seems to happen at certain random time when I haven't access vps and I see the problem. When and if problem happens again I will follow the instruction again.

Please send me the info on use of "strace" - Thanks!

Joe

Re: Problem with connecting to VPS guess [message #28365 is a reply to message #28346] Fri, 14 March 2008 16:53 Go to previous message
aTan is currently offline  aTan
Quote:

Please send me the info on use of "strace" - Thanks!

http://wiki.openvz.org/Stracing_a_program
Previous Topic: how to block an ip from all VE's
Next Topic: Apache taking a LONG time to start on reboot
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 14:07:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02337 seconds