OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » trying to install image magick via yum i get error Error: hal conflicts with kernel < 2.6.17
Re: trying to install image magick via yum i get error Error: hal conflicts with kernel < 2.6.17 [message #27856 is a reply to message #27794] Fri, 29 February 2008 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Before give you any piece of advice I'll try to explain my point of view.
The issue is in the following:
We have a dummy package which provides some kinds of capabilities. To observe them please use rpm command:
rpm -q --provides PACK_NAME
(in your case PACK_NAME=dummy-fedora-core-4-1.0-4.swsoft). As you can see this package is a fake package (it might provide capability but mightn't contain the corresponding utility). I only know two reasons why it was made:
a) Some packages need the capability for example
Quote:

module-init-tools is needed by (installed) initscripts-8.54.1-1.i386

but actually we cannot load modules from inside VE. And we have to provide this or may be some else capability.
b) We don't want to increase VE's weight so we don't add some unnecessary utilities.

In your case you could look at
rpm -q --provides PACK_NAME
output and install inside VE appropriate packages, for example in your case, kernel,module-init-tools, ethtool, mingetty etc (the common Fedora-4 packages) and then remove dummy package from inside the VE.

I suppose that everything should work and you'll be able to install appropriate software.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: A Big problem with my vps
Next Topic: PAE support inside VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 13:16:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02703 seconds