OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » kernel crash when copying large files to mounted windows share
kernel crash when copying large files to mounted windows share [message #23150] Tue, 13 November 2007 16:15 Go to next message
slonghurst is currently offline  slonghurst
I have been trying to put into effect a backup solution for our virtual environments. I currently just backup the /home directory and other configuration files like httpd.conf etc. I have a two step process

1) cycle through the private folder and for each venode backup the files
2) once all of these are done Copy files to a mounted windows drive.

The reason for this is i cannot find a veritas linux agent that works, so i copy the files to a file share on my windows network to be backuped up by veritas.

i am finding a major problem though when copying the files to the windows share, for some reason I get a kernel crash when copying the files. Though i cannot find any thing in my logs to ascertain why this would happen.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem? or how i turn on jkernel logging? I am guessing in the /etc/syslog.conf file i add something like

kern.* /var/log/kern_messages

Is there any other logging i should be looking into regarding the openvz or that you can think would help? I think once logging is turned on I can replicate this issue pretty much everytime.

Regards

Shaun
Re: kernel crash when copying large files to mounted windows share [message #23221 is a reply to message #23150] Wed, 14 November 2007 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hello Shaun,

we can say something about the issue only after we have some more particular description:
1) kernel version on your system, if you compiled it yourself, then the kernel config.
2) how do you mount the windows share (exact command or some config files (/etc/fstab?), output of 'mount', 'cat /proc/mounts' commands)
3) logs, oops itself if any.
Kernel logging is enabled by default, messages are being saved in /var/log/messages, so check it please, if there are any abnormal messages.

/etc/syslog.conf
# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

But if case of a crash (oops), the message about the oops can miss /var/log/messages, it happens quite often. A serial console will help you to collect the complete logs.
http://wiki.openvz.org/Remote_console_setup

The netconsole is less reliable but also helps quite often.

One more useful thing you can do - increasing the logging level by adding "kernel.printk = 8 4 1 8" string to the /etc/sysctl.conf.

Hope all this helps you to get the logs of the oops.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: kernel crash when copying large files to mounted windows share [message #27795 is a reply to message #23221] Wed, 27 February 2008 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slonghurst is currently offline  slonghurst
sorry for the late reply Confused

I have not seen this issue for sometime now after implementing the extra logging. If it ever happens again hopefully i will get some more info

Thanks
Re: kernel crash when copying large files to mounted windows share [message #27796 is a reply to message #27795] Wed, 27 February 2008 14:27 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Shaun,

thank you for the notification!
We'll wait for the info, but hope you won't face any bugs and your system will work stable. Smile

--

Best regards,
Konstantin.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: Apache does not start when rebooting
Next Topic: ipf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 06:26:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02950 seconds