OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Install Problem - vzyum dependency failure
Install Problem - vzyum dependency failure [message #2748] Wed, 19 April 2006 14:21 Go to next message
jeauxdeaux is currently offline  jeauxdeaux
I am attempting to install OpenVZ and associated packages on an HP Pavilion zv5000 series notebook. The machine has 100gb hard drive, 1.2 gb RAM and an AMD-64 (3400) chip.

I have installed CentOS 4.2 (server install) as the base operating system. Following the instruction in the "OpenVZ User's Guide" (version 2.7.0-8), I have successfully done the following:
  • Installed the OpenVZ kernel (2.6.8-022stab076.1 - uniprocessor version). Please note that I did receive a warning "no module stat_nv for kernel 2.6.8-022stab076.1 - continuing anyway"
  • Configured GRUB to load OpenVZ kernel.
  • Set sysctl parameters as described on pages 27 and 28 of the User's Guide.

When I attempt to install the OpenVZ Packages using the command (see page 29 User's Guide),
# rpm -Uhv vzctl*.rpm vzquota*.rpm vzpkg*.rpm,
I receive the following message:
error: Failed dependencies: vzyum >= 2.5.0-5 is needed by vzpkg-2.7.0-18.noarch.

I have looked on the support forum and a couple of postings; however, I have not been able to figure out how to proceed.

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeaux Deaux
Re: Install Problem - vzyum dependency failure [message #2752 is a reply to message #2748] Wed, 19 April 2006 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Are you using x86_64? If yes, you should stick to precreated templates and thus do not need to install vzpkg* or vzyum*.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Install Problem - vzyum dependency failure [message #2769 is a reply to message #2752] Wed, 19 April 2006 22:09 Go to previous message
jeauxdeaux is currently offline  jeauxdeaux
Thanks for the quick reply.

Although the computer does have a chip of the x86-64 architecture, I am attempting to install the packages x86 (IA32) Open VZ kernel and associated 32-bit packages.

In the past, there have been issues with drivers, etc., with the x86-64 linux versions. Therefore, I have tended to run 32-bit versions for the better driver coverage.

Should I be using the x86-64 kernel version? Will the x86 (IA32) version not work properly on this chip? Could you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks in advance for you help. OpenVZ looks like a great product. I look forward to using it.

Jeaux Deaux
Previous Topic: VPS with samba
Next Topic: Can't Enter VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 10 17:18:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04901 seconds