OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » But why is the RAM gone?!
Re: But why is the RAM gone?! [message #26814 is a reply to message #26812] Fri, 01 February 2008 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
HubertD is currently offline  HubertD
Thanks for your reply, Pavel,

I'll try to provide the kmemsize and physpages graphs, but since I didn't record that info in the first place, it's going to take some time...

I did of course search memory-consuming processes using "top", but cannot find any growing ones:
- After a reboot, there are >2GB "free" (-buffers,cache) memory
- The processes don't seem to grow over time.
http://www.denkmair.de/ramgone/psmemgraph.png
This is a graph that sums up "ps -o rss ax", and the total amount doesn't grow significantly.
- Only the "MemFree" info of /proc/meminfo is decreasing over time, while "Buffers" and "Cached" stay the same.
Maybe I should keep track of other meminfo values, can somebody tell me which ones? ;-)

All together, I really suspect a kernel memory leak atm.
Unfortunately, simply changing the hardware node is not really a option, since this is a Co-Located server "in production" and it would be quite an effort to organize a equal replacement.

How difficult would it be to track down such a big (again, ~10MB/hour) kernel memory leak?
Would this be possible on a production machine? (Nightly reboots are okay and so are kernel changes, as long as they don't have great impact on performance.)

Btw, this is all standard hardware, no funny exotic parts - an IBM eServer x345 with IBM/Adaptec ServeRaid controller, no other extensions.

Full lspci (and all other info) here:
http://www.denkmair.de/ramgone/

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Hubert

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Shutdown of VE affects interface on HW-node?
Next Topic: Starting & Stopping Multiple VPS...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 12:34:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02230 seconds