OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 Network Problem
*SOLVED* net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 Network Problem [message #26639] Tue, 29 January 2008 17:59 Go to next message
ricoche is currently offline  ricoche
Yesterday and today I had my OpenVZ system working perfectly. I rebooted the computer once today and everything continued as normal, however suddenly I can no longer SSH into my VE and when I restart the network I get the following output. Note that the values for net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0, BUT in the sysctl.conf file it is actually "net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1" Thus it appears something is wrong here. I have checked the installation manual and everything is absolutely as it should be. I have no idea why suddenly the sysctl.conf file is correct, but the network output is incorrect.

Do I have a bad kernel? Any ideas what might be happening here?

Also notice how there are double entries or phrases below. For example "Shutting down interface venet0:" is written twice. Shouldn't this be written once and not repeated? It's almost as if there are two references or something. Very strange.

Thanks!
Jim

Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
Shutting down interface venet0: Shutting down interface venet0:
[ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Disabling IPv4 packet forwarding: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 [ OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth1:
Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present. Check cable?
[FAILED]
Bringing up interface venet0: Bringing up interface venet0:
Configuring interface venet0:
net.ipv4.conf.venet0.send_redirects = 0
[ OK ]

[Updated on: Fri, 01 February 2008 00:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 Network Problem [message #26656 is a reply to message #26639] Wed, 30 January 2008 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Quote:

Also notice how there are double entries or phrases below.

It's normal. Once it's printed in /etc/init.d/network and the other case in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-venet

Quote:

Thus it appears something is wrong here.

I'm sorry but I can't understand what exactly is wrong?
net.ipv4.ip_forward must be equals to 1, net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter must be the same.

http://download.openvz.org/doc/OpenVZ-Users-Guide.pdf
(p. 28)
Re: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 Network Problem [message #26698 is a reply to message #26656] Thu, 31 January 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply Maratrus!

Everything seems to be working now after I fixed a problem with udev on one of my VEs. The /dev directory was corrupt after I did a yum install of udev which was required for another application install. After I did this and reboot the server I had problems all over the place. I since removed udev on the VE and all now appears to be working fine. Whether this has anything to do with my problem above, I am unsure. I just know everything cleared up right after.

One problem I now have is that every day I have to run "service network restart" in order to kick my network into gear. My VEs stay online and will boot automatically when the computer reboots, but for some reason the network will not start after either a reboot or if the network fails for some reason. Every morning when I wake up and check my system, I have to issue the command "service network restart". Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
Re: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 Network Problem [message #26728 is a reply to message #26698] Thu, 31 January 2008 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Quote:

The /dev directory was corrupt after I did a yum install of udev

Seems that the problem is similarly to

http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=5160&star t=0&

and there is workaround without removing udev inside VE.
Re: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 Network Problem [message #26787 is a reply to message #26639] Fri, 01 February 2008 00:26 Go to previous message
Thanks Maratrus, I'll check out the link.

Jim
Previous Topic: Re-Booting HN & VPS
Next Topic: Capabilities
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 07 02:14:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04747 seconds