OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Is sharing same files between VEs possible with simfs?
Is sharing same files between VEs possible with simfs? [message #26290] Sun, 20 January 2008 14:40 Go to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
Hi, i'd like to initialy clone some VE private area with rsync
using the --link-dest= option for hard linking so that to VE with same unmodified file will actually use same inode and save space.
The question is will it work correctly with simfs? Meaning that
if one VE modifies some shared file data inode this inode will be cloned with modifications, and the original inode link count will be reduced. Or will the original node be modified thus affecting all VEs sharing the file?

Thanks
Alex
Re: Is sharing same files between VEs possible with simfs? [message #26294 is a reply to message #26290] Sun, 20 January 2008 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Hi, the openvz fs does not have this ability. If this is critical for you, you should consider virtuozzo and its vzfs filesystem, which accomplishes exactly what you want.

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Is sharing same files between VEs possible with simfs? [message #26298 is a reply to message #26294] Mon, 21 January 2008 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
rickb wrote on Sun, 20 January 2008 21:49

Hi, the openvz fs does not have this ability. If this is critical for you, you should consider virtuozzo and its vzfs filesystem, which accomplishes exactly what you want.

Well it's certainly not critical for me, just nice to have, especially considering it should not be hard to implement in
container aware vfs code.
Re: Is sharing same files between VEs possible with simfs? [message #26415 is a reply to message #26298] Wed, 23 January 2008 09:14 Go to previous message
szocske is currently offline  szocske
piavlo wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 02:23

rickb wrote on Sun, 20 January 2008 21:49

Well it's certainly not critical for me, just nice to have, especially considering it should not be hard to implement in
container aware vfs code.

Overlay filesystems should be virtualisation-agnostic, but probably more hassle and less efficient than the virtuozzo-specific integrated solution.

VServer has vhashify, but lacks many openVZ features we all like Smile
Previous Topic: Centos 5.0 problem with new kernel, nfs in VE not working.
Next Topic: ionice core dumping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 21:47:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05233 seconds