OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP
VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP [message #26058] Tue, 15 January 2008 04:23 Go to next message
jones is currently offline  jones
I created a VPS and assigned it an IP from a range of IPs my datacenter gave me, however the VPS was not reachable from the outside world (only HN -> VPS and vice versa). So I made sure that IP forwarding was enabled, because i'm running apf and I know that can cause problems. Everything looked fine, except that I couldn't reach the IP still.

So I looked at the server details again and my main server's IP has a broadcast and Gateway IP different than the pack of additional IPs. I wasn't sure if that was what was causing problems, but I decided to try something.

I added the VPS's IP as another network interface on the host node: eth0:0 and gave it the broadcast IP that my datacenter assigned to the IP range (not the one assigned to the server). The IP would then ping, so I deleted that interface, and the IP still pings now and connects to the VPS correctly.

so my questions:

Is there something I have to do differently because of the IP pack being on a separate broadcast address? Gateway address?

Is this IP just temporarily resolving and will become unreachable if I reboot the server or network or should it be ok?

thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2008 04:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP [message #26064 is a reply to message #26058] Tue, 15 January 2008 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nemesiz is currently offline  Nemesiz
Try to use veth instead of venet.
http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth

Make it with Slackware.
Re: VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP [message #26090 is a reply to message #26058] Tue, 15 January 2008 13:49 Go to previous message
jones is currently offline  jones
So I woke up this morning and sure enough, the VPS is not pingable anymore. I did the same thing again and now the the IP connects to the VPS. Is there any way of associating those IPs with my server?

So are you saying that in all the VPS's that I create, I'll have to change the network from venet to veth and then assign the necessary broadcast and gateway info? Do I need to change the host node's device from venet to veth as well?
Previous Topic: VE: XXX: failed to start with err=-11
Next Topic: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 19:07:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02891 seconds