OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps?
mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps? [message #25977] Sun, 13 January 2008 14:38 Go to next message
firestorm
Hello all,

I have a bit of a quandary that I'd like to get some feedback on.

I have a customer that's wanting to sign up for several vps servers, and be billed per-mbps instead of a base amount of gigs. Can anyone tell me if either of the below options are feasible?

1) vlan tagging on each vps's traffic

In this method, I would set up each of his vps'es to have their traffic tagged with a specific vlan ID, and then shove all of his traffic into a separate vlan on my switch. This would be easier from my perspective, as I'm quite familiar with snmp monitoring of switches.

2) snmp monitoring on the HW node

This method would involve setting up something like net-snmp on the HW node, and then getting the data out of each vps as it's polled. I've found a previous thread on here about something similar to this, but the big stumbling block I'm hitting is figuring out the custom scripting in net-snmp (documentation for this is VERY scarce), and getting RTG to properly read that data.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps? [message #25986 is a reply to message #25977] Mon, 14 January 2008 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Probably I do not understand your question correctly, however why you do not want to use the traffic shaping?
http://wiki.openvz.org/Traffic_shaping_with_tc

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps? [message #25987 is a reply to message #25977] Mon, 14 January 2008 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firestorm
I think we might be missing each other.

The traffic shaping is handled by HyperVM. This is not shaping, but monitoring the 95th percentile usage of each vps in mbps.

Re: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps? [message #26057 is a reply to message #25977] Tue, 15 January 2008 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firestorm
I'm still looking for some help on this. I'm willing to pay someone quite well if they can develop the system in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks
Re: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps? [message #26110 is a reply to message #26057] Tue, 15 January 2008 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohaw is currently offline  mohaw
hi,
trafic monitoring per-ip can be done via iptables, but as a side effect you will need more storage. for details please contact me anilATsaogDOTnet

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2008 17:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps? [message #26111 is a reply to message #25977] Tue, 15 January 2008 17:10 Go to previous message
firestorm
Email sent

Thanks for the reply
Previous Topic: VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP
Next Topic: vzcpucheck: ERROR: VE0 CPU units not set, or set too high!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 05 16:17:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05699 seconds