OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Advice needed on migration of Phys to VE
Re: Advice needed on migration of Phys to VE [message #25697 is a reply to message #25673] Mon, 07 January 2008 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yettyn is currently offline  yettyn
kir wrote on Mon, 07 January 2008 00:47

So, for example, in case of DNS, create a VE, assign some private IP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network) to it, set up named in that VE, copy your named configuration from the host system to a new VE, test it. Then set up port forwarding so DNS queries will go to VE's named, not the host's one. If something goes wrong you can just remove the port forwarding rule until you fix the problem. When you're done, stop named on the host system.

I have a further question regarding this. I basically understand how it should be done but uncertain about few thing and as dns is a rather important part of the system I better ask before starting fiddle with it.

What I wonder about is how I handle the host name and ip for this VE in regards to the named.conf. In essence this VE host will replace HN host in a public sense, so how do I handle this in the zone file? Will I list this VE with a public IP A record or a CNAME alias?

As I understand it, setting things up this way I canget away with using only 1 public IP on this box, which will be for the HN, but this IP will basically also be the public interface for all VE hosts and I assume need to have this in the their zone files.

It's possible I complicate things unneccesarrily, but afaik my HN's FQDN is registered as a dns host so I think it must remain as a A record IP in dns, so how do I handle the dns VE - can I list it in zone file with same public IP as A record as well? I know it's possible to have 2 A records with same IP but different host name but I am no dns guru and is unsure about how it comes out in the end... kinda.

/Joakim

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Kernel module?
Next Topic: Does iostat work in a VPS?