OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Partition table dissapeared?
Partition table dissapeared? [message #25630] Fri, 04 January 2008 13:38 Go to next message
iamacup is currently offline  iamacup
first of all, i really liked openvz from the offset because it just seemed to work with almost no configuration, however i have encountered a strange problem

after i was running openvz (on debian etch following the wiki tutorial and using the kernel ovzkernel-2.6.18 (i386 and amd64) at systs.org) with 3 VE's i noticed that the host machine and all the ve's displayed this error if proc was searched

find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for ./proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

after goggling abit i found this error is related to some older kernels and should be fixed, however it can safely be ignored (apparently)

but i thought i would try and compile a kernel and see if it went away, it didn't. so i just stuck with the pre-compiled kernel mentioned above. about 4 days later the server went down apparently with no hard drive failure (after getting data center techs to look at it), they could not find any problem with the hard drive, there was simply no partition table available.

the host system only had apache2 running and the VE's were 2 debian etch and 1 ubuntu. could this be something to do with the find error or.....

thanks Smile
Re: Partition table dissapeared? [message #25632 is a reply to message #25630] Fri, 04 January 2008 15:17 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Thank you very much for the warm words. Smile

And talking about the issue - from my point of view the disappearance of the partition table is not related to the 'find' warning in any way.

And if you are certain that nobody did erase it manually, then you have only 2 variants - a hardware fault or software fault.
Ok, yes, there is one more variant - power fault. Did it happen?

If not, i suggest you to setup a serial console, or at least a network console on the node - if it took only several days to corrupt the disk - there is a possibility of the repetition.
Serial/network consoles will provide you kernel logs, and most probably will shed some light on this mysterious issue.

http://wiki.openvz.org/Remote_console_setup#Serial_console

good luck!

--
Konstantin.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: Zimbra Diskstats
Next Topic: Too many open files in system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 15:21:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02370 seconds