OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CentOS/RHEL-Kernel: Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
CentOS/RHEL-Kernel: Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format [message #24434] Wed, 05 December 2007 08:06 Go to next message
Xandrian is currently offline  Xandrian

Hi,

after a long time I have a new problem with OpenVZ now. I tried to install the new RHEL Kernel on my CentOS machine...

What I have done: Downloaded the 2.6.18 source from kernel.org. Then get down the Patch-File from the OpenVZ-Seite (the latest and the previous version - same problem). In the third step i configured the kernel and generated it.

# make configure
[added XEN, removed uneeded drivers]
# make
# make modules_install
# make install
# mkinitrd...

After that i modified the grub.conf
title 2.6.18-openvz_xen (Test)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18 ro root=/dev/sda1
        module /boot/initrd-2.6.18.img

When I reboot the machine i get the following message from grub:
Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

The grub manual says:
13 : Invalid or unsupported executable format
This error is returned if the kernel image being loaded is not recognized as Multiboot or one of the supported native formats (Linux zImage or bzImage, FreeBSD, or NetBSD). 

But that will not realy help me. It should be the right kernel (gzip). I don't know what I am doing wrong. Can someone help me?

Thanks. Rgds, Tobias
Re: CentOS/RHEL-Kernel: Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format [message #24468 is a reply to message #24434] Wed, 05 December 2007 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
At the first glance all looks correct.

You to run "file" command on curretly used kernel and on new ones and then compare results.

Do you able to install and boot our pre-builded RHEL-based kernels?

Thank you,
Vasily Averin.
Re: CentOS/RHEL-Kernel: Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format [message #24470 is a reply to message #24468] Wed, 05 December 2007 11:32 Go to previous message
Xandrian is currently offline  Xandrian

Hi,

thanks for you answer. Here the results of the file command - I hope it's that you want. Wink

# file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-ovz005
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-ovz005: x86 boot sector
# file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-openvz_xen
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-openvz_xen: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

I had big problems with the pre-build kernels during installing my server in April. So I am not using prebuild kernels and using my own one. So i cannot tell you, if it will run. The second problem is, it's a productive server. So i don't want to "play" so much...

Rgds, Tobias
Previous Topic: Adding Swap space to VE
Next Topic: Quick Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 16 05:59:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05016 seconds